Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Video card question`

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 unacymbal

unacymbal

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:04 AM

Posted 14 March 2005 - 10:27 PM

How do I know if my computer is AGP compatible? I have an old vid card I want to replace, but I'm not sure if I can use an AGP card. I've got a PCI card now. I was just wondering how you can tell. Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Futs

Futs

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2005 - 01:23 AM

First thing is to check wheather you have an AGP slot, its the brown slot on the board above all the PCI slots.
Next is to check what motherboard you have, cos the voltages on agp cards differ between 1x, 2x and 4x, 8x and you might end up with a faulty graphics card aswell as a faulty motherboard
Posted Image

#3 philbophill

philbophill

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2005 - 06:19 PM

does your motherboard have an AGP slot on it?

#4 The Trip

The Trip

• Members
  • 244 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2005 - 06:26 PM

It should be in the same area as the PCI slots, just a little different looking than the PCI slots, and further away from the edge of the Motherboard.

#5 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:04 AM

Posted 16 March 2005 - 09:14 PM

If you have and AGP card you may need to go into the BIOS to chance from AGP to PCI . Then place you PCI video card into the FIRST PCI slot . The PCI slots are white . In the old days before XP you had to place your Video in the 1st slot . With AGP I don't think many put PCI video cards in anymore . You can run a dual monitor setup if you wish (althought I think it works best with XP) . Onefor chat and one for surfing . Just a thought .

acklan
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users