Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Web Hosting

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Groffeaston

Groffeaston

• Members
  • 516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:25 AM

Posted 03 March 2008 - 03:28 PM

Hello everyone!

It is me, Matt , A.K.A. "Groffeaston", again. This time I am wondering about Web Hosting. I heard about it sometime ago and wondered what it was and how does it work. I know it is some form of online business opertunity, but could also be a scam, Depending on who you deal with. I also know it involves the use of computers.

Does anyone have information as to what is involved with web hosting and how it works? Also how can someone get started in it and what are the average costs associated with it? Also,What are the minimun computer requirements for web hosting and what about internet access, what type of Internet access is recommended for web hosting? Also, does anyone know if one would need a business license for web hosting? I know it may vary from state to state, But in general terms.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 king gee

king gee

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:25 AM

Posted 03 March 2008 - 08:48 PM

hi! Groffeaston. i like the name. just google it. to know this stuff, 70% of the work is required to be done by you. it sure prevents you from being a lazy genius(they neva get to b appreciated). what u learn on ur own cannot b taken away from u.
cheers! :thumbsup:
there is something about the future, it changes anytime you look at it because you looked at it. And that changes everything else.

#3 Vaerli

Vaerli

• Members
  • 582 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:25 AM

Posted 03 March 2008 - 08:59 PM

okay, from what I understand of web hosting, is that first, you need a domain name, which can be reserved/bought from a number of sites. Domain names redirect the address you type in into the number of where it can find your server. Then comes the fact that you have to either rent a server, or buy one and pay for the operating costs and bandwidth. Renting is what most people do, and for good reasons. I know most places you can get a domain name+ Server hosting for a year, for a decent price of probably a hundred dollars, if you can find the place.

Before you do any of that though, you probably want to try and design your web page. I know that Microsoft has a program, Frontpage, and the Professional web design software is probably by far Adobe Dreamweaver. Then, of course, you could always just use Notepad, but its pretty difficult to get around.

I suggest learning basic HTML before you get into hosting a web site, if you're going to do the upkeep. A good place to do so is w3schools.com. It will let you at least do some modification if you need to.

Q6600, 4GB g-skill, 8800GT, P5N-D motherboard
Posted Image
My art

#4 Wysi Free

Wysi Free

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2008 - 09:36 AM

...I know that Microsoft has a program, Frontpage, and the Professional web design software is probably by far Adobe Dreamweaver. Then, of course, you could always just use Notepad, but its pretty difficult to get around.

I suggest learning basic HTML before you get into hosting a web site, if you're going to do the upkeep. A good place to do so is w3schools.com. It will let you at least do some modification if you need to.

FrontPage has gone away to be replaced by the latest and greatest from my good friend Bill. Dreamweaver is supposed to be great but it is a big buck program. My pick is KompoZer, which is the latest in a line of free web authoring tools. It is WYSIWYG and designed for people with no technical background. I blog about KompoZer, web authoring and other stuff to help folks get started in web authoring. Using KompoZer is a good way to learn to create web sites.

I was a little confused by Groffeaston's question because I didn't know if he wanted one or wanted to be a web host. There are the basics of web hosting and then tutorials on how they work. I have used free hosting services but paid services are reasonably priced places to put a web site.

The good thing about trying to learn about web stuff is there is so much of it posted that a quick search will answer almost any question. There's no reason not to be on the web and you can do it for free.

Wysi
:thumbsup:

#5 Groffeaston

Groffeaston
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 516 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2008 - 09:54 AM

Hello Wysi,

The reason I posted my question, To clarify, I was looking for information on what Web Hosting is, and how it works. I had heard someplace that if you Web Host you could make a little profit in doing so. I was curious as to what it entailed to get started and if it would be worth my while to get into it. I had also heard that there was another type of Web Hosting,where you own the name and people go to the web site and you get paid for so many visits to the site or so much sales done through the site but you do not have to own any equipment. Is that a scam or is that a real deal, where companies pay to use your website to sell their products and you do practically nothing except make money from the sales generated from your website. I know people have done this before,but they said the profits range from pennies to lots of money depending on what companies you choose, which web servers you go to and so forth. If you do it yourself you might not make any profit for a while until you payoff the equipment unless you already have it.

I was thinking about trying my hand at it and see if I can make some money at it. If it would be worth my time and effort.

#6 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:25 AM

Posted 10 March 2008 - 10:37 AM

You may have a few misconceptions about how all of this works. You could do web-hosting, yes. You will need your own server, co-location space, and the ability to do technical support if necessary.

they said the profits range from pennies to lots of money depending on what companies you choose,

That isn't really how the real world works either. Nobody is going to just advertise on your webspace. If you have a website that attracts a large amount of visitors, then companies might contact you about advertising on your site. They are certainly not going to spend the money on a site with no track record and no visitors. Why would they? There are sites that do have a track record, and that do have many visitors. That would be the smart investment for them. You certainly are not going to choose them.. they will choose you if you meet their marketing criteria and goals.

so much sales done through the site but you do not have to own any equipment.

By any chance were they trying to rent you the equipment? Guess who makes the money in that set up?

Darn.. I have to run off, but I would be glad to discuss this more with you when I have a moment.

#7 Wysi Free

Wysi Free

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2008 - 09:14 PM

...To clarify, I was looking for information on what Web Hosting is, and how it works. I had heard someplace that if you Web Host you could make a little profit in doing so. ... I know people have done this before,but they said the profits range from pennies to lots of money depending on ...

There are people who are getting filthy rich from a web site that caught fire for one reason or another. The odds are like winning a powerball lottery. I gave you links to information on what web hosting is and on formulating a website-- I think.

When you have a web site you can have Google put ads on it for you -- no effort on your part other than building the site and signing up with Google. You get x for each impression (someone hits your page where the ad is displayed) and y for a click on an ad displayed on your site. The x and y aren't much, measured in pennies but if you are getting a million hits a day the pennies add up. There may be a "z" component if you are an affiliate of another site that pays if someone signs up for a product or service based on coming from your site.

You have a lot of reading to do but its like panning for gold or digging for diamonds. Your web site may be the next...

Go for it,

Wysi
:thumbsup:

p.s. Did I mention that it is really hard to get a million hits?

#8 Groffeaston

Groffeaston
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 516 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2008 - 12:10 AM

Hello Every one,

I may even be getting the terminology mixed up also. What is it called when you have a web page and sell products for a company through the web page, but the company handles all the ordering,shipping etc... And the company pays you for using the web page. Is that the same as web hosting? I forget! An Example: I decide to get a webpage and call it "monkeyspit.com" Then have several companies sell their products from that web page. They handle all the sales and shipping and all the returns and problems etc. I get money for them selling their product from my webpage. I do believe that is web hosting. Please correct me if I am wrong! I remember seeing ads for companies that helped set up this type of "business". But then had heard about some, if not, most were considered scams! THat was years ago. Early to mid 1990's.

#9 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2008 - 07:56 AM

A web host provides hardware for people to hold their web content. You are talking about affiliate ads, which Wysi Free already discussed. Your example describes exactly the same thing.

#10 Groffeaston

Groffeaston
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 516 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2008 - 03:45 PM

Hello groovicus,

I know, I keep getting confused with the Terminology. I like I said before I had heard about companies in the late 1980's and into the mid 1990's that where offering business propositions with those two types of operations. But then I had heard that most, if not, all of them where scams. Then I remembered just recently about those ideas and thought I would look it up. I know there are legit companies out there that help get started in that type of business. But finding them is the problem and also comming up with the money they want is also. I hear it is much cheaper to do it yourself, but then there are more "headaches" associated with it. THat is also why I was asking about the general costs associated starting up both. I hope I cleared it up for you and myself. :thumbsup:

#11 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2008 - 04:10 PM

You can create a website, add some affiliate links, and host it with any number of sites, for a wide range of prices. That is about the cheapest way to get into doing what you want to do. The problem is that nobody is going to visit your website if you do not have any content, and nobody will see those affiliate links.

I know there are legit companies out there that help get started in that type of business.

Yep. those are the same companies that sell self-help books that teach you how to become rich by stuffing envelopes in your spare time. The only one that makes money on that are the ones that sell the books. There is nothing by the way of services that they can sell you that are worth your money. All the information that you need is freely available on the Internet. It just requires some research. If those folks were really making money through advertising, they wouldn't have to try and make money by telling you how to do it. They would be investing in crude oil or something.

You need a domain name, a web host provider, some web content, and an account with Google. There ya go. No charge. :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users