Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Adobe Pdf Reader

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 gheese

gheese

• Banned
  • 121 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:49 AM

Posted 03 March 2008 - 12:33 PM

I got an attachment as a pdf file that for some reason adobe says is corrupted or unable to be read... problem is this - I can read it on the computer 10 feet away as an attachment with the same program (as the file is an email sent pdf file)... why is it not opening on this computer... all other pdf files are opening whether as an attachment from another email or just from the web. ???

can it be that i sent the file to this computer (one that will not open it) via email again and during the process of several emails the file got damaged?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 pip22

pip22

• Banned
  • 341 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:49 PM

Posted 03 March 2008 - 01:48 PM

Possibly corrupted during transit across the internet, but if that exact same attachment (not a different copy of it) will open on another PC then you obviously can rule out corruption, so probably something wrong with the Reader that won't read it or some other error on that pc.
Bad RAM can often cause a file to be reported as corrupt when same file runs or reads ok on a different PC. (I know this from personal experience).
Only cure is to remove/replace the bad RAM module(s).

For confirmation, you can test the RAM by booting from a CD containing 'memtest86'
You can download the ISO image file to create a bootable CD from here: http://www.memtest86.com/download.html

Of course, if you did have bad ram in a pc it would usually cause errors with all kinds of files, not just pdf ones. But wouldn't do any harm to check it anyway.

Edited by pip22, 03 March 2008 - 01:54 PM.

#3 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,026 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2008 - 08:49 PM

If your Adobe Reader is corrupt uninstall it andget the latest from here

Download the latest version of Adobe Reader

BE SURE TO UNCHECK the box for the tool bar
Also install:
( ) Free Google Toolbar
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#4 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,257 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:49 AM

Posted 04 March 2008 - 12:22 AM

I've found that Foxit Reader is able to read PDF's that Adobe thinks are corrupt.

#5 gheese

gheese
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 121 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2008 - 08:17 AM

thanks guys fresh installation of adobe did the job, checked out foxit also. thanks. prob fixed.

#6 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,026 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2008 - 09:29 AM

You're welcome!!
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users