Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Display Problem

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 GB1

GB1

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:40 PM

Posted 03 March 2008 - 12:30 PM

Hello all -

Out of nowhere a few weeks ago my computer's display started going nuts. The icons on the desktop may not display properly, text can be almost unreadable, the screen can lock up for 10+ seconds (sometimes comes back, sometimes doesn't and requires a reboot), vertically scrollable pages increment in slow motion when you try to scroll them, etc. Sometimes the display completely blacks out for a second or two and a Windows 2000 dialog box appears on the screen saying that it is finished installing the update (!) and asks if you'd like to reboot.

The above doesn't happen with an regularity - it's very sporadic. I can sometimes get through an entire computer session (1-3 hrs) without a problem, but most of the time not. Rebooting usually fixes the it for the next session.

I've tried the following to determine or fix the problem:

- Checked the 2K event logs. There's nothing there that jumps out as the problem.
- Ran two online virus scans. Nothing was found. (I run a firewall by the way, though do not have an anti-virus program.)
- Reinstalled the latest drivers for my NEC monitor. No effect.
- Reinstalled the last drivers for my ATI 7500 video card. Did not solve the problem, but it did show a dialog box with a message saying something to the effect that a call to the video accelerator did not return the expected confirmation parameter.

Based on the last item above I'm starting to think it's the video card, but I'm also curious why it's not consistent.

Any ideas on how to troubleshoot this? It could be software or hardware related.

Thanks. I've also attached a screen shot of one instance. You can see that the bottom left and right icons are fine but most everything else is messed up.

Greg

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:40 PM

Posted 03 March 2008 - 05:25 PM

Heat could be a factor. If you have a video card with a heatsink and fan, the fan could be malfunctioning or the heatsink clogged with dirt/lint
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 GB1

GB1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:40 PM

Posted 15 March 2008 - 07:50 PM

Heat could be a factor. If you have a video card with a heatsink and fan, the fan could be malfunctioning or the heatsink clogged with dirt/lint

Garmanma - I removed the video card and it was pretty dusty. The fan runs but it was again dusty. I cleaned everything and reinstalled/reseated it back into the MB and so far so good. Hopefully, this has fixed the problem.

Thks

Gb

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users