Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How Can I Connect A Pc To A Home Network?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 kimgeni

kimgeni

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:33 PM

Posted 03 March 2008 - 12:19 PM

I've got a wireless home network (just internet, no file sharing) with 3 PCs. A couple of months ago, the oldest PC lost the ability to detect any signals from the router. The 2 others are working as normal.
Does anyone have any ideas why all I get is "no signals detected"? If the PC finds a signal, and it rarely does, its gone after a few seconds. The computer's old, slow and a bit unstable, but this hasnt been an obstacle in the past. It worked nice for about 2 years, but now its over when it comes to detecting the internet signals from the router. The computer's OS is ME and both the router and the wireless card are made by Belkin.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 rf6647

rf6647

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:33 AM

Posted 03 March 2008 - 09:36 PM

I'm new here, so I cannot point to a specific guide or reference.

With a laptop, you have a signal strength measurement tool.

More wireless routers move into the neighborhood, more interference. Try channels 3,6, and 9. See what happens.

How many antennas on the router? Experiment with different orientations (vertical, horizontal, 45 angle).

3 computers - substitute hardware.

Using a USB-Wireless adapter? More freedom to locate the adapter.

More specifics are needed to move beyond this shotgun approach.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users