Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ide #0 Error

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 IainR

IainR

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:39 PM

Posted 03 March 2008 - 09:56 AM

This problem is on a Toshiba Satellite Pro A10 running XP Home. On starting I get the Toshiba start-up screen and there is a regular clicking from the HDD. After 20-30 seconds I get:

IDE #0 ERROR

then a pause, followed by the following codes from the boot agent (Intel FE v4.1.09)

PXE-E61: Media test failure, check cable
PXE-M0F: Exiting Intel Boot Agent
Insert system disc in drive.

I have a nasty feeling that the HDD has died. I can replace it if required, but is there any way of extracting the files from it before I go this far?

I have the System recovery discs, but they appear to wipe all the data from the HDD, so I haven't gone that far yet. I also have PC Beginner available which looks a bit more hopeful, but I'm going to be on a learning curve on this one.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:39 PM

Posted 03 March 2008 - 10:54 AM

using a desktop computer and an adapter like this I would try to save any data files first and maybe do some diagnostics after that

http://www.cablestogo.com/product.asp?cat_...6&sku=17705

I wouldn't spend a lot of money on that laptop unless I had already replaced the battery and upgraded the ram

Edited by DaChew, 03 March 2008 - 10:54 AM.

Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2008 - 05:38 PM

It's likely that the IDE error is referring to a problem with your hard drive.
The other stuff (the lines starting with PXE) are the computer trying to boot from a network - which is what it'll try to do when it can't find a hard drive to boot from.

The definitive test would be to run a bootable diagnostic on your system. You can get one from the website of the manufacturer of your hard drive (usually for free).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 IainR

IainR
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2008 - 06:57 AM

Not having much luck finding a bootable diagnostic so far, still looking.

Meanwhile, I've got an adapter cable but need to check one thing. There are more pins on the HDD than sockets on cable. There is a group of 4 pins on the right, then a gap, then the main group of 44 pins. The top right pin of the main group is marked pin #1. I'm assuming this matches up with the socket marked with an arrow head on the cable. Does that sound about right?

#5 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2008 - 07:49 AM

the 4 pins are for the power?, look in a regular computer at the power connectors on older hard drives(ide) or cd-roms, is it like them?
Chewy

#6 IainR

IainR
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2008 - 09:22 AM

Pic attached, the four pins are the ones at the right. I guessed at power, but can't confirm it.

Attached Files

Edited by IainR, 05 March 2008 - 09:23 AM.

#7 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2008 - 09:52 AM

http://sdd.toshiba.com/main.aspx?Path=Serv...eJumperSettings

http://sdd.toshiba.com/main.aspx?Path=Serv...eJumperSettings

that should be the jumper block of pins and you can ignore

Edited by DaChew, 05 March 2008 - 09:53 AM.

Chewy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users