Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How Fast Can A Vpn Go?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 bentheimmigrant

bentheimmigrant

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:58 PM

Posted 03 March 2008 - 05:14 AM

Someone I know wants to access a site which only has the full features if you live outside of the country I am in (how ambiguous is that sentence?). Basically it involves streaming video (sport by the way - before you start getting ideas)... So what I'm wondering is, if we can get a friend in another country to set up a VPN, would we be able to use that to connect to the site and thus tell it that we're outside the country? And will a VPN be able to handle the demands of video streaming?

I know I haven't given you many specifics, but I don't know who we'd ask yet to set up the VPN, and so I don't know what kind up up/down speed they'd have.

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Billy O'Neal

Billy O'Neal

Visual C++ STL Maintainer

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,304 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:58 AM

Posted 03 March 2008 - 10:49 AM

It depends completely on the bandwidth available at each location. In a VPN, the slowest connection at any point makes that the speed for the entire connection. It may hande video, it may not.

Tell your friend that he may want to use tor. It routes the connection through a large body of computers to ensure privacy.
The one problem with using a VPN for what you describe is that most web browsers put identifiable information in the HTTP header. Tor and Privoxy (detailed on the tor site) get around all that.
http://www.torproject.org/

Billy3
Twitter - My statements do not establish the official position of Microsoft Corporation, and are my own personal opinion. (But you already knew that, right?)
Posted Image

#3 bentheimmigrant

bentheimmigrant
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2008 - 06:53 AM

Thanks... I'll see if tor works for this... It would be great.

#4 bentheimmigrant

bentheimmigrant
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2008 - 05:36 PM

Turns out tor was unsuccessful for whatever reasons... Just got Firefox mad. So after a lot of Google-age, I came across Charon, made by a guy called Rhino. It finds IPs for you, tells you where they're from and if they're anonymous. All you have to do is tell your browser to run through that IP as a proxy and hey presto, you're logging in from china (even got Google errors in Chinese).

Thanks for getting me headed down the right path...

And if anyone's interested in Charon... click here

I found the search for IPs went on forever, and never displayed them. It's easier to join an IP archive forum (who knew they'd be out there?) and load lists from them and have Charon check through for anonymous ones, and compare the speed and ping of all the IPs... Exciting stuff.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users