Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Mixed Wired/wireless Security Issues

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 ggghhh

ggghhh

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:47 PM

Posted 03 March 2008 - 01:21 AM

hello, i was hoping someone could help me out with a view questions. The way my network is set up at home is through one desktop being connected to a wired router and another computer being connect wirelessly to a wireless router which is then connected to the original wired router. pretty much it's set up like the diagram here http://pocketpccentral.net/wrlesnetrk2.htm
now it's just come to my attention that the wireless router has been pretty much non secure for some time now, meaning no wep, while i am securing it now that i know about the wep, i was just wondering about something. I know with a non secure wireless network your wifi traffic can be hijacked and snooped on, but i was wondering if in a mixed wired/wireless network the traffic of the wired computer would also be easily hijacked

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 E-Mu

E-Mu

Bleepin' Psychopomp

• Members
  • 1,386 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:47 PM

Posted 03 March 2008 - 01:06 PM

If you have secured your wireless signal you'll be ok. someone can only access your network either by hacking wireless signals or being hardwired into the network somehow, through a router or another PC.

Make sure on any PC/laptops running a wireless connection is not a "hub" for a 2nd network, i have been able to connect to someones network through a laptop that was on the network, despite the router being protected the network coming off the laptop was unsecured
~ E-Mu ~

"Emu, You Moo, We All Moo for Emu!" <-- Thanks to Animal

"If at first you don't succeed; call it version 1.0"

#3 ggghhh

ggghhh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2008 - 04:48 PM

thanks for taking the time to help me out, i'm new to this stuff and sometimes just looking to google doesn't come up with the answers i need.

If you have secured your wireless signal you'll be ok. someone can only access your network either by hacking wireless signals or being hardwired into the network somehow, through a router or another PC.

Make sure on any PC/laptops running a wireless connection is not a "hub" for a 2nd network, i have been able to connect to someones network through a laptop that was on the network, despite the router being protected the network coming off the laptop was unsecured

just to make some things clear by having a secured signal do you mean that the SSID isn't broadcasting?

also how can i find out if the other pcs on wireless are a hub or not

another quick question i have is if a mixed network like mine was hacked into would the traffic of the wired computer also be able to be analyzed and spied on in addition to the traffic of the wireless computer

thanks again

#4 E-Mu

E-Mu

Bleepin' Psychopomp

• Members
  • 1,386 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2008 - 07:11 AM

just to make some things clear by having a secured signal do you mean that the SSID isn't broadcasting?

no your SSID might still be picked up but if your using WEP key then your network is secure as no-one will be able to connect to it without the WEP key

also how can i find out if the other pcs on wireless are a hub or not

aslong as you haven't tried to start a wireless network from the wireless enabled PC/Laptop then there shouldn't be anything set-up, check on "connections" and see if there is anything else but your wireless connection or your LAN connection

another quick question i have is if a mixed network like mine was hacked into would the traffic of the wired computer also be able to be analyzed and spied on in addition to the traffic of the wireless computer

if all the computers are on the same network and file sharing is enabled, or set so that it can be viewed by other computers on the network then yes anyone hacking the network would be able to view all the files

TBH aslong as your wireless router is protected with a WEP key and you have no one hardwired into you routers that shouldn't be then you wont have anything to worry about
~ E-Mu ~

#5 ggghhh

ggghhh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2008 - 04:18 PM

what about the web traffic on the wired computer(websites, emails, etc) would thos be viewable by an intruder in a mixed network

#6 E-Mu

E-Mu

Bleepin' Psychopomp

• Members
  • 1,386 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2008 - 05:19 PM

as where only theoretically talking about ONE network here then yes.

although you running wired and wireless through two different routers as its all interlinked he will be able to view it all.

if you are wanting to protect yourself turn file sharing and computer access off to stop other coomputer on the network accessing each other, or if you need to share then password protect the access, this will slow them down but if theve hacked your wireless encryption key than it wouldnt stop them for long to be fair
~ E-Mu ~

#7 rf6647

rf6647

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:47 PM

Posted 06 March 2008 - 11:05 AM

Some tweaking of your wireless network can improve security. These changes are made by logging onto the wireless router with admin authority.

Change password for the admin account.

Change the SSID. Rename it not to resemble the brandname.

Do not broadcast the SSID.

WEP secures the airwaves, but it has limitations. The router may have advance settings to filter users by the MAC or other criteria.

Password cracking software is out there. Hackers go after easy targets. That is how I view that suppressing the SSID and Rename substantial reduces vulnerability.

#8 dodge99

dodge99

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2008 - 10:32 AM

Why are you using WEP? Is that the only encryption your wireless adapters and router support? If not, I strongly suggest you use WPA or WPA2 with a strong passphrase. WEP is easily cracked, but if this is all you have, change your WEP key reguraly. Here is a wireless security checklist.

Edited by dodge99, 07 March 2008 - 10:33 AM.

#9 ggghhh

ggghhh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2008 - 02:54 AM

thanks for the advice guys

from what your saying it seems that a mixed network isn't really any more secure then a regular wireless network. I had assumed that since one desktop had been wired that the web traffic of that computer at least wouldn't be intercepted because it wasn't going through radio signals

#10 E-Mu

E-Mu

Bleepin' Psychopomp

• Members
  • 1,386 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2008 - 03:31 PM

from what your saying it seems that a mixed network isn't really any more secure then a regular wireless network.

In a nutshell mate, yes! lol
~ E-Mu ~

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users