Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Add Or Remove Programs

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Hillbilly

Hillbilly

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:17 AM

Posted 02 March 2008 - 11:33 PM

Hi there, I have always appreciated your help in the past and I hope you can answer a few questions for me. (Kissing Up :thumbsup: )

I have a Gateway MX3210 Laptop with Upgraded Memory and Windows XP Home SP2. I use it for personal computing when travelling and I am trying to streamline it by removing things I do not need or use. The usuals like Anti-Virus, Windows office related programs, etc... When I had the "Add or Remove Programs" window open, I noticed a couple of items on there that left me with questions and one that may explain a java.lang.nullpointexception error I get sometimes which requires me to restart after it happens to make everything work well again.

My first question is in regards to both J2SE Runtime Environment 5.0 Update 11 (Size:120.00MB) and Java™ 6 Update 3 (Size:111.00MB) being on there. Are both of them required?

My second question is in regards to Windows Internet Explorer 7 - Security Updates (7 Individual) and Windows XP - Software Updates, Updates for Windows XP, Hotfixes (Many of them.) Is it necessary for them to be listed individually or are they deletable? Or should I just unmark the box by "Show Updates" to make them disappear and forget about them?

I am going to run Hijackthis later, I know that it is to be posted in the forum for it and also how to do so properly.

Thanks in advance for any and all help you give me.

Hillbilly

P.S. I have done/read the pinned topics before posting this for help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 03 March 2008 - 12:28 AM

You do not need both java's. Uninstall J2SE Runtime Environment 5.0 Update 11.

Concerning the updates, just uncheck the show updates box. You could delete them, but that's not a good idea. Besides, if you delete critical updates, they'll show back up as needed whenever you check for updates.

#3 Hillbilly

Hillbilly
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2008 - 12:31 AM

Thanks Queen-Evie for the help. I think that is the root of a few of my problems but being the chicken I am, I had to come and ask you all first.

:thumbsup:

#4 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 03 March 2008 - 01:41 AM

If unsure it's always best to ask first.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users