Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can I Upgrade And Old Piii To Have 1.8 Ghz And 512 Mb Ram?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 D_Vincent

D_Vincent

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:10 PM

Posted 02 March 2008 - 11:28 PM

Didnt mean to type Piii in thread title...cant edit it so I guess it will have to stay that way...lol

Im a total beginner when it comes to working on a computer and just want to know if its possible to upgrade an old PIII that runs on windows XP and upgrade the system so it has 1.8 GHz and 512 MB RAM.

Right now the old PIII with windows XP has this

Intel Pentium III processor
996 MHz ,256 MB RAM

Is there a way to upgrade to 1.8 GHz and 512 MB Ram

I want to learn how to work on computers and Im starting with and older computer to learn on.

Thanks for any help

Edited by D_Vincent, 02 March 2008 - 11:34 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 smurfgod

smurfgod

• Members
  • 446 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2008 - 08:33 AM

The RAM most likely yes the board will take it. The CPU, i'm doubtful on it. It really depends on the CPU socket on your board. there are other factors too but whether it actually physically fits or not is most important. what's the manufacturer/model number of your board, or PC as a whole?

#3 D_Vincent

D_Vincent
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2008 - 09:08 AM

Not sure what the manufacturer/model number of the board is because i have not opened up the computer to work on it yet...just making sure if its possible to upgrade before i do anything because i dont want to ruin the computer because it still works pretty good right now.

Not sure what the PC model # is either...not sure where to look to find #...is it on the back of PC?

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:10 PM

Posted 03 March 2008 - 01:09 PM

Download SIW It will give you the information on your motherboard
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#5 D_Vincent

D_Vincent
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2008 - 01:29 PM

Ok thanks

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,882 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2008 - 02:03 PM

You know...it would probably be cheaper and easier...to just get a new motherboard/CPU combo (and different RAM requirements), IMO.

Attempting to upgrade a PIII system...just doesn't seem practical otherwise, in my world.

Louis

#7 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:10 PM

Posted 03 March 2008 - 05:42 PM

A quick look shows that the PIII socket 370 only goes up to 1.4 gHz. The good news is that the chips are very, very cheap (around $15 US).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#8 D_Vincent

D_Vincent
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2008 - 10:09 AM

I downloaded SIW and took a screen shot after clicking on motherboard...thanks for the info and replies so far.

After clicking thumbnail below you can click the image again to increase size once redirected to URL.

Posted Image

Edited by D_Vincent, 04 March 2008 - 10:12 AM.

#9 D_Vincent

D_Vincent
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2008 - 10:32 AM

Sorry for the double post.

Maybe it might be better to start building a computer from scratch...Reason I wanted to upgrade was to use this program while recording music.

Ezdrummer

System requirements are (not sure what Athlon is?)

Windows XP or Vista, PIII / Athlon 1,8 GHz with 512 Mb RAM

http://www.toontrack.com/ezdrummer.asp

Im going to scrap this idea of upgrading a PIII and start a build from scratch...any help would be great...thread is here.
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/134489/first-computer-buildany-help-or-info-would-be-great/

Edited by D_Vincent, 04 March 2008 - 12:15 PM.

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,882 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2008 - 01:08 PM

What program are you referring to?

Any music program ought to have a forum...where users usually discuss what works for them with that particular application.

The minimum requirements for installing a program...are not very much help very often, since some margin is often desired above minimal performance levels.

Louis

#11 D_Vincent

D_Vincent
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2008 - 02:17 PM

Just wanted to upgrade so I could use ezdrummer and addictive drums which are more like VST plugins however they have system requirements to be able to use them.

Im going to start a build from scratch instead now however if you want to help out I posted link in my previous post.

Edited by D_Vincent, 04 March 2008 - 02:18 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users