Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Bad Display And Keyboard On New Build

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 floydian

floydian

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:58 AM

Posted 02 March 2008 - 11:27 PM

I just build a new system with the following specs:

Shuttle SD30G2 Intel barebone case

Intel Core 2 Duo E6550 Conroe 2.33GHz

2GB Corsair XMS2 RAM (240 pin DDR2)

WD1600AAJS Caviar SE 160GB 7200RPM SATA Hard Drive

Pioneer DVR-115DBK 20x DVD+R

Let me start off by acknowledging that I am very much a novice on the hardware side of computers. Everything installed easy (which is why I chose the Shuttle case) and after I powered it on I realized I forgot to plug in a keyboard, so I did and hit the reset button. For the rest of the night whenever I tried to power on the I got a black screen or "input signal out of range" message. So I left it until the next day and it fired up with no issues on the first try. Went into the setup and was monitoring the temp when after a few minutes I lost the power to my keyboard. When I powered the system back up I encountered the same screen issue as the previous night. This has been the pattern with the amount of time it takes for the keyboard to lose power decreasing. I have tried two different keyboards (USB and PS2) and am not sure what part(s) to look at as being bad. Any direction would be greatly appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:58 AM

Posted 03 March 2008 - 01:25 PM

Input signal out of range usually means the refresh rate or resolution is set too high. You can try to use the CMOS reset jumper on the motherboard, or remove the motherboard battery for 1/2 hour. With the unit unplugged, of course. When you reboot, try the PS/2 keyboard first
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 FireKracker

FireKracker

• Members
  • 484 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:58 PM

Posted 04 March 2008 - 06:11 AM

This is odd, one minute you can see output from your shuttle on your monitor then not the next, also loss of power to your keyboard.

Garmanma is right in saying about refresh rates, but its odd that one sec you can view output to your monitor and not the next. Does your monitor have two inputs, perhaps the incorrect input has been selected?

As for your keyboard issue, do you have a USB optical mouse plugged in as well? Just keep an eye on this to see if it looses power as well. I'm beginning to think maybe the issues your having are due to perhaps your power supply - is everything plugged in securely? The machine isn't shorting out somewhere is it?
If all else fails, hit the reset button.
Posted Image

#4 floydian

floydian
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:58 AM

Posted 08 March 2008 - 04:19 PM

Thank you for your replies and suggestions. I removed the battery from the mobo and after replacing it got the same results. I just want to be clear in saying that the video output doesn't disappear, rather the power is lost to the keyboard and upon rebooting the system I will sometimes got the input signal error. Now after taking the battery out and putting it back in it still locks up after a minute or two but the power indicator on the keyboard has remained lit where before it would not.

#5 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:58 AM

Posted 08 March 2008 - 05:05 PM

This is a brand new build? Did you follow the directions from the motherboard mfg with the different BIOS settings? I'd double-check
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users