Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Explore.exe Dont Load In Start Up

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Adi82

Adi82

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:33 PM

Posted 02 March 2008 - 08:52 PM

history:

1- everything was OK
2- i did a scan and removed some maleware (don't remember the names)
3- i removed symatec anti-virus
4- removed a google toolbar
5-restart
6-after login ,i don't have anymore icons,start menu,and explorer.exe in Task
7-I tried to start manually with New Task(run) but no luck
8-I tried all mode(safe,last know good,etc) but explorer still doesn't load
9-I did Restore System in Safe mode as administrator and chose the earliest point,restart and still the same problem.
10-I did repair(not recover console) with a XP CD.still explorer.exe wont load
11-Scanned the system with spyboots ,hijakthis and windows malicious removal tool.
10-sfc /scan and again no luck

do you known any other method to repair my XP.i don't want to reinstall the system because i have some professional softwares that i cant find.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,858 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:33 AM

Posted 02 March 2008 - 09:07 PM

I would check the hard drive with a manufacturer's diagnostic.

I guess that I don't understand removing the AV program, especially since malware is likely to be a contributor to your situation (IMO).

Louis

#3 Adi82

Adi82
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2008 - 10:35 AM

I would check the hard drive with a manufacturer's diagnostic.

I guess that I don't understand removing the AV program, especially since malware is likely to be a contributor to your situation (IMO).

Louis

what is the manufactures dignostic?
I unistalled the Antivirus,norton, (I don't understand removing the AV program) but i installed an other one,Spyboot, after the restart wich didnt load explorer.exe.

#4 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:10:33 AM

Posted 03 March 2008 - 10:57 AM

I can't help you with explore not loading. But I can give you some other information.

"i did a scan and removed some maleware". What program did you use to scan?

You mentioned you uninstalled Norton antivirus. Is there a reason why you uninstalled it?
Was Norton antivirus part of a Norton suite-did it also contain a firewall OR was Norton antivirus a stand-alone program? Do you have a firewall installed or at the least using the Windows firewall?
If you had the suite, which includes firewall and antivirus, your computer is now totally unprotected.
What exactly do you not understand about removing Norton? When did you uninstall it?

You also state that "I unistalled the Antivirus,norton, (I don't understand removing the AV program) but i installed an other one,Spyboot"

SPYBOT IS NOT AN ANTIVIRUS. It's a spyware scanner.
It will not protect you from viruses.
You need to get another antivirus program, in addition to a firewall if you need one.

Did you use the Norton removal tool after uninstalling the antivirus? If not, I suggest you run it, Norton is notorious for leaving traces of itself behind and the tool supposedly gets rid of those traces.
You can more information and a link to the removal tool here:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/34671/how-to-remove-your-norton-products/

If you want recommendations for excellent free firewall and antivirus programs, Bleeping Computer has a list and can be found here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic3616.html

Edited by Queen-Evie, 03 March 2008 - 11:25 AM.

#5 Adi82

Adi82
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2008 - 11:28 AM

What exactly do you not understand about removing Norton? When did you install it?

it was symatec antivirus,it was preinstalled and i removed it with Add&Remove first than with the removal tool of Norton.
i uninstalled this one because it eats a lot of memory!!!

You also state that "I unistalled the Antivirus,norton, (I don't understand removing the AV program) but i installed an other one,Spyboot"
SPYBOT IS NOT AN ANTIVIRUS. It's a spyware scanner.
It will not protect you from viruses.

you are right !!!!

You need to get another antivirus program, in addition to a firewall if you need one.

i will install AVG antivirus (because have update by file) and Zone Alarm
what do you think?

p.s.:do you recomend me the chkdsk or an other one to check my hard disk for errors?

thank you

#6 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 03 March 2008 - 12:40 PM

From another thread about this same issue: the following was posted there by hamluis.

edit to add link to the thread mentioned above-you might find something there to help you.
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/133540/explorerexe-gone/

You might also want to try running sfc /scannow to replace any missing or damaged system files.

LEARN how to use SFC.EXE (system file checker) in this article! -
http://www.updatexp.com/scannow-sfc.html

AVG and Zone Alarm are both ok to use. Norton does use a lot of resources.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 03 March 2008 - 12:50 PM.

#7 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,076 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2008 - 04:59 PM

If you can't run explorer.exe (not explore.exe) from the New Task dialog in Task Manager - then it's likely that either you're still infected or there's a setting preventing explore.exe from launching.

Watch the Processes tab of Task Manager when you attempt to launch explorer.exe - does it pop up and then close quickly? If so, then it's likely to be an infection.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#8 Adi82

Adi82
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2008 - 07:16 PM

Watch the Processes tab of Task Manager when you attempt to launch explorer.exe - does it pop up and then close quickly? If so, then it's likely to be an infection.

yes ,it pop up (less than a second) and than close
i will make a full scan with avg and will post the result!!!

@all
thank you

#9 fluxx23

fluxx23

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:33 AM

Posted 16 March 2008 - 07:47 AM

I've run into the same problem just after removing some 1,251 infections of spyware on someone's computer. When I rebooted it hangs before the login/welcome screens. Just a black background and a mouse. Ctrl+alt+del won't even bring up the task manager...

Hope we can figure this out.

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,858 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:33 AM

Posted 16 March 2008 - 09:29 AM

FWIW: I don't think I'd try to clean up a system with over 1,000 malware items.

To me, that's like attempting to bandage someone who has major internal injuries.

A clean install would be my attempt to get the system healthy...and the practice of basic safe computing practices (firewall, Windows updates, malware detection removal programs to include a reliable AV program), as well as periodic system backups...would be my attempt to keep the patient healthy and preserve system operability.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users