Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

System shutdown

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 lt_dan

lt_dan

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:28 PM

Posted 14 March 2005 - 07:13 PM

I've had this happen before on my system at work, and it was fixed and now it's back.

Every two minutes or so, I get an official-looking box that says:

System Shutdown
(white x in a red circle)
This system is shutting down. Please save all work in progress and log off. Any unsaved changes will be lost. This shutdown was initiated by NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM.

Time before shutdown: 00:00:60 (it counts down from there)

'C:\WINNT\system32\services.exe' terminated unexpectedly with status code
128. The system will now shut down and restart.

And when the countdown reaches 00:00:00, the system reboots. Only then two minutes after reboot, the same box pops up and it does it again.

Last time it did it while our outsourced IT guy was there and he fixed it somehow. But he only comes by once a month. I want to know what causes this if anybody knows, so it doesn't happen again.

I want my hard drive reformatted and to start again - but I want to know why I keep getting stuff like this (we supposedly have all the latest firewalls and antivirus stuff and we have spybots and adaware and all that).

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 efizzer

efizzer

• Members
  • 360 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:28 PM

Posted 14 March 2005 - 09:23 PM

sounds like the blaster worm.... or the sasser worm, i dunno if any of the newer worms do that.... i remember the blaster and sasser tho....

Symantec has a patch for both
Posted Image

We're going to make the merry-go-round go faster, so everyone needs to hang on tighter-just to keep from being thrown to the wolves.

#3 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2005 - 09:41 PM

It is possible you are infected with a virus.

Download Service Controller (freeware) from:
http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4313.html

Service Controller XP is an interface that allows you to control your Windows
(NT/2000/XP) services. You can see what services are running and view detailed
information about all the standard Windows services. In addition, the program provides
information that lets you decide whether to enable or disable a service. It prevents
you from accidentally disabling critical operating system services and suggest whether
to disable a service or not based on the use of your computer (e.g. gaming, default, Internet Gateway etc.)

See if you can identify any service shown running as caused by a virus (not a standard Windows service)

Do a free online virus scan at
http://housecall-beta.trendmicro.com/en/start_corp.asp

#4 frankie12

frankie12

• Members
  • 941 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2005 - 10:05 PM

You may want to do a virus scan. you can find a very good one at www.lavasoftUSA.com

#5 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2005 - 08:22 AM

You may want to do a virus scan. you can find a very good one at www.lavasoftUSA.com

Lavasoft is the parent company of Adaware, which offers spyware protection, not Anti-Virus.

I don't see an anti-virus scan offered on their site.

Trend Micro, the URL I provoded in my last post does offer a web based virus scan.

#6 lt_dan

lt_dan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2005 - 05:59 PM

FYI - they called in our IT guy and he fixed it. I don't know how. But I don't want it to come back.

There's no foolproof way around all this stuff, is there?

#7 cooldudenz

cooldudenz

• Members
  • 250 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2005 - 10:47 PM

Yes you just have to go 2 microsoft.com and get the patch so it cant reinfect ur system, also virus scan in safe mode to get rid of it, if you dont want 2 get it from microsoft there are many other sites and im pretty sure this 1 is the blaster worm.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users