Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Security Newbie

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 shellybean

shellybean

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:09 PM

Posted 02 March 2008 - 07:47 PM

Hi there!
As you can see I did not realize that there was so much involved as far as antivirus and spyware. I thought that what you have installed at the store was good enough to get you by....obviously not!! :thumbsup:
I was told by the IT guy at work that I should install HighJack This on my laptop...so I did. Upon reading, it looks like I will need additional spyware, and a firewall, along with numerous other things. (I have Trend Micro Antivirus and PC Tools Syware Doctor) Guess it was a good thing....I am trying to learn, but it is confusing. Hope you all can help me out! I'm feeling a little lost! :flowers:
Thanks!!
Michelle

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 02 March 2008 - 08:30 PM

Why did your IT guy at work recommend installing Hijack This? Are you having problems with your computer that may be a result of malware?

HijackThis is an advanced tool, and therefore requires advanced knowledge about Windows and operating systems in general. If you delete items that it shows, without knowing what they are, it can lead to other problems such as your Internet no longer working or problems with running Windows itself. You should also attempt to clean the Spyware/Hijacker/Trojan with all other methods before using HijackThis. If you allow HijackThis to remove entries before another removal tool scans your computer, the files from the Hijacker/Spyware will still be left on your computer and future removal tools will not be able to find them.

If you do not have advanced knowledge about computers you should NOT fix entries using HijackThis without consulting an expert on using this program.

With that being said, there are a lot of choices when it comes to computer security. For firewall and antivirus, you have to find something that works for you, something that you can understand and are comfortable with. Most important, it has to play nice with your system. What works well for my computer may not work for yours.
You will need a firewall. If you don't have one yet, check to make sure the Windows firewall is turned on. You can do this from Start menu/Control Panel/Windows firewall. Not having a firewall is just asking for trouble.
There are some excellent free programs available. There is a list of these programs in the page linked to below:
Also look at the spyware removal section-a list of programs is included.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic3616.html

Welcome to Bleeping Computer. If you have any questions or concerns, all you have to do is ask.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 02 March 2008 - 09:20 PM.

#3 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,058 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:09 PM

Posted 02 March 2008 - 11:03 PM

An added note: Hijackthis will not fix anything on it's own it has to be instructed what to change. Changing the wrong thing can have serious adverse affects on your PC.

Remember also use only ONE Firewall and Antivirus, along with a few Antispyware tools.
Recommend you look at SUPERAntispyware from the list.

Edited by boopme, 02 March 2008 - 11:04 PM.

How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#4 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 02 March 2008 - 11:24 PM

An added note: Hijackthis will not fix anything on it's own it has to be instructed what to change. Changing the wrong thing can have serious adverse affects on your PC.

One thing I didn't say in my post above.
Hijack This should only be run if someone trained in its use tells you to run it. It's just one of the many tools used for the removal of malware. Someone from the HJT team will look at the logs and tell the user what needs to be deleted.
Here at Bleeping Computer, we have a team of experts trained in the use of HJT.
They undergo an intensive training program before they are allowed to become a member of the Hijack This team.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 02 March 2008 - 11:26 PM.

#5 shellybean

shellybean
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2008 - 11:26 PM

Thank you for your info, it is very helpful. I will be sure to not remove anything without asking for professional help.
Though I did DL AdAware and Spybot S&D as it instructed on this website. AdAware found quite a bit(96 cookies) . The critical one was BroadCastPC. It was able to remove it.
I already have a firewall in my Windows Vista and the programs listed above in my last post. Do you think this is ok? Should I have anything else? Will any of these adversely affect the other?
Thanks for all your help!!
Michelle

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users