Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Removing A Valid Keylogger

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Beremat

Beremat

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:31 PM

Posted 02 March 2008 - 07:15 PM

Okay, so I once installed KGB free keylogger and i've used it for a while, and I want to uninstall it or at least stop it from running. However, I cant find a uninstall button or find the program in msconfig. Anyone, help? I think the process is called MPK.exe... i've never seen that one before. Also, the folder for the program never shows up in browing My Computer, however the keylogger's icon is still in the bar near the clock.

Thank you in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tork

tork

• Members
  • 718 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2008 - 07:42 PM

Bleeping computer uninstall KGB key logger
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/uninstall/...Key-Logger.html

Sophos - KGB Keylogger
http://www.sophos.com/security/analyses/kgbkeylogger193.html

tork

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,411 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:31 AM

Posted 02 March 2008 - 07:43 PM

I guess that I just don't believe that anyone...would ever install an obnoxious program like a keylogger...and not know how to remove it.

Louis

#4 Beremat

Beremat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2008 - 04:32 PM

I guess that I just don't believe that anyone...would ever install an obnoxious program like a keylogger...and not know how to remove it.

Louis

I needed to use it to monitor my little cousin's activity on my computer. It was his first time on a computer and I wanted to see that if he screwed something up, I would know where to go to fix it.
Now that he left, I tried uninstalling that, but I realized that it doesn't have a uninstall button. Not even antiviruses would detect it.
Thank you for the help.

EDIT: I followed those links, but the problem is that it DOESN'T show up in Add/remove programs or in msconfig. :[
Those registry entries don't exist.

Edited by Beremat, 03 March 2008 - 04:35 PM.

#5 powerjuce

powerjuce

• Members
  • 321 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2008 - 06:11 PM

did you try killing the process and then going to C:\program files\ and then into the key logger folder and lookking for the the uninstall file. It should be called unins0000.exe or some such thing.
hope that helps

#6 Beremat

Beremat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2008 - 06:32 PM

Also, the folder for the program never shows up in browing My Computer

:thumbsup:

#7 powerjuce

powerjuce

• Members
  • 321 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2008 - 06:44 PM

by that do you mean C:\program files?

even then here is what you can do

go to Start and then run. In the dialog that pops up type in C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\Restore\rstrui.exe
after doing so a screen will pop up called "system restore"

WARNING BE VERY CAREFUL WITH WHAT YOU DO HERE, I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR WHAT YOU DO TO YOUR COMPUTER!!!!!.

on that screen you will see something that says "restore my system to an earlier time" click next. Then go to the date before you installed the keylogger on the calender provided. then click next. Make sure you close all docs and files and save everything and click next again. When the computer restarts you will not hav the keylogger installed and then you should be alright (as long as you did not install programs after that)

#8 Beremat

Beremat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2008 - 06:47 PM

by that do you mean C:\program files?

even then here is what you can do

go to Start and then run. In the dialog that pops up type in C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\Restore\rstrui.exe
after doing so a screen will pop up called "system restore"

WARNING BE VERY CAREFUL WITH WHAT YOU DO HERE, I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR WHAT YOU DO TO YOUR COMPUTER!!!!!.

on that screen you will see something that says "restore my system to an earlier time" click next. Then go to the date before you installed the keylogger on the calender provided. then click next. Make sure you close all docs and files and save everything and click next again. When the computer restarts you will not hav the keylogger installed and then you should be alright (as long as you did not install programs after that)

System Restore was off, so I don't have any restore points...
I hate myself :\

#9 powerjuce

powerjuce

• Members
  • 321 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2008 - 06:49 PM

ok why dont you try this site i am not sure if these will help but it is worth a try:

portablefreeware uninstallers

#10 Beremat

Beremat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2008 - 06:55 PM

ok why dont you try this site i am not sure if these will help but it is worth a try:

portablefreeware uninstallers

THANKYOUTHANKYOUTHANKYOUTHANKYOU!!!!!
:inlove: :) :cool: :trumpet:
I downloaded the first application and I couldn't find the unisntaller. However, I went to the autorun manager and there it was!
MPK.exe. THANK YOU!!! :thumbsup:
That is one powerful tool... I'm keeping that lil application. :flowers:

Edited by Beremat, 03 March 2008 - 06:57 PM.

#11 powerjuce

powerjuce

• Members
  • 321 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2008 - 07:29 PM

im glad i could help

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users