Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Book Suggestions

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Miljet

Miljet

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:11 AM

Posted 02 March 2008 - 06:31 PM

Does anyone have any suggestions for a good book, or books, for learning Linux in general and/or Ubuntu in particular?

I know that there is tons of info on the internet, but I am too old and set in my ways to embrace that method of learning. Every time I start researching a topic, I run across a new term with a link to look it up. That page invariably contains other new terms, and links. First thing I know, I'm 17 pages from where I started, and usually forgot what I was looking for in the first place.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Juha

Juha

• Members
  • 512 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:11 AM

Posted 02 March 2008 - 07:18 PM

Every time I start researching a topic, I run across a new term with a link to look it up. That page invariably contains other new terms, and links. First thing I know, I'm 17 pages from where I started, and usually forgot what I was looking for in the first place.

This is what happens to me when I am on Wikipedia- keeping on clicking on new terms with links and further more links in those links and so on until I totally forget the original topic!

As for your question, well, I don't know much about Linux in general or in particular! but I saw my cousin trying out Suse Linux and following a book called 'Beginning Suse Linux (Beginning from Novice to Professional)' by Keir Thomas. I know you are looking for a book on Linux in general and/or Ubuntu in particular, but you might like to try out Suse Linux, which looks excellent, and check out the book. I read some passages and it looks really well written.

Good Luck!

#3 madman6510

madman6510

• Members
  • 384 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2008 - 07:20 PM

You can try Linux for Dummies, or Ubuntu Linux for Dummies.

#4 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,257 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:11 PM

Posted 02 March 2008 - 08:27 PM

Before you commit to a book, see if there's a preview of it on Google Books, i.e. http://books.google.com/books?lr=&q=Li...es&as_brr=0

#5 Joedude

Joedude

• Members
  • 337 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:11 AM

Posted 03 March 2008 - 03:51 AM

There is only one complete and comprehensive book concerning linux available, IMHO.

The Linux Bible
If someone tells you to su rm -rf /
DON'T DO IT!!!!
Be in the know, Bash smart!

#6 Miljet

Miljet
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2008 - 08:38 AM

Thanks for the suggestions. I think I will check the public library first to see what they have. That way I can check them out before buying one, or two.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users