Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dell Inspiron 8500 Boot Up Problem

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 smilingpooh

smilingpooh

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:55 AM

Posted 02 March 2008 - 02:32 PM

hello,

i have been heavily using my Inspiron 8500 for four years now. I had to reinstall windows xp twice within the last one year.
i got a blue screen yesterday, and i tried to recover the system unsuccessfully, it ended again in a blue screen, and i tried to start in a safe mode, didn't work either, again blue screen. when i start up the computer now it says error, cannot load the operating system.
I booted into diagnostics, and all of them are marked green passed up to after the DST Short Status Test. after this test is marked w/ passed, there is a message saying "no diagnostics utility partition found. to run diagnostics insert you dell Drivers and Utilities CD, then select ok to restart the system and boot off the CD."
Unfortunately I dont have this CD with me. Is there anywhere on dells or third party sites where i can download it? i looked at the drivers section for inspiron 8500 but dotn know what exactly i am supposed to download.
Any help will be highly appreciated! thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:55 AM

Posted 02 March 2008 - 04:57 PM

What is the information in the BSOD that you are getting? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/top...tml#entry409491
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 smilingpooh

smilingpooh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2008 - 05:05 PM

hi
thanks for the guide link, but i think that my problem is different. the computer boots up to not able to load the OS. this is not a blue screen error anymore. and then what does the not able to find a utility partition while running diagnostics mean?
thanks for your time!

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2008 - 05:51 PM

hi
thanks for the guide link, but i think that my problem is different. the computer boots up to not able to load the OS. this is not a blue screen error anymore. and then what does the not able to find a utility partition while running diagnostics mean?
thanks for your time!

It means that one of the times you reinstalled XP you deleted the partition. To get replacement CD's you can call Dell or scroll to the bottom of this page http://support.dell.com/support/
You will need the service tag number for your unit There will be a small charge
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#5 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2008 - 08:00 PM

Do you have an OS disk? If so, can you boot to it to start the installation?
If so, try entering R for the recovery console and run these commands:
chkdsk /f /r
fixboot
fixmbr

If not, then I'd have to suggest a bootable diagnostic from the manufacturer of your hard drive to see if the hard drive is dead or dying.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 smilingpooh

smilingpooh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2008 - 09:34 AM

Hi,
yeah, i know I will need a new computer soon! I have been using this DELL as my main computer for over 3 years now, usually up to 16hrs a day! So I understand it is about time that it gives up :thumbsup:
Btw, I had to uninstall norton 2-3 days before my computer died, and maybe this had to do with deleting some essential files... I read norton messes up your OS sometimes...
Anyways, here is what I learnt this time.
I had a corrupt windows file, which didn't allow that the laptop boots from the Windows XP install CD. In the diagnostic test, the system prompted me to insert the original DELL CD with the Drivers and Utilities, because it didn't find the partition utiliy on my hard drive. I didn't have this CD at hand. Btw, the bottom of my computer is so worn out, that I cannot even see the customer number!!! I cant see almost anything printed on those labels :trumpet:
My boyfriend found an alternative OS online (I think it is called active@ boot or smth like this); he downloaded this OS, burnt it on a CD and managed to boot up the computer using this CD. We used the console available there to transfer all my files from the hard disk to an external hard drive and perform some maintenance available there. There was a nice browser that I used to email to myself some important files, as well. Afterwards we formatted the hard disk fully, and reinstalled Windows XP, transferred all my data back on my laptop hard drive. I had the drives on my hard disk, so those are reinstalled, all seems to function perfectly, and the day has been saved. :smileyhappy:
It is clear I need to back up all my files regularly on an external hard drive, because the doom day is eventually coming :flowers:
Thanks to all your help, and fast responses! Hope this information helps other people, as well!

#7 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2008 - 09:48 AM

Glad to hear that you've fixed the issues. Thanks for letting us know!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users