Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What Router Do I Need?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 ROSS17

ROSS17

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:03 PM

Posted 02 March 2008 - 01:01 PM

hello, i was hoping someone could help me out, and recommend a type of router.

i have recently bought a new computer, and so now have two. MY first computer is downstairs and my new 1 is upstairs, and obviously i want internet access on each one at the same time. But i am not sure what kind of router i need. If i get a wireless one will it be difficult set up on both computers (one runs XP , the other Vista), and if i get a normal one will i need to have a wire running between floors to connect both computers?

any advice would be much appreciated, cheers! :thumbsup:

Edited by ROSS17, 02 March 2008 - 01:02 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Vaerli

Vaerli

• Members
  • 582 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:03 PM

Posted 02 March 2008 - 02:19 PM

Most routers are wireless and wired, or just wired if you specifically go for it.

If you get a wireless router, which might be easier because you don't have to mess with cords, you'll probably need to get some card or USB something for whichever computer isn't right next to the router. It should be easy to plug one of the computers into the router, and just have one wireless.

Linksys is probably the brand with the biggest reputation. I personally like belkin.

Q6600, 4GB g-skill, 8800GT, P5N-D motherboard
Posted Image
My art

#3 rf6647

rf6647

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:03 PM

Posted 02 March 2008 - 07:08 PM

I think Airlink101 deserves a look (airlink101.com).

The AR525W : 802.11G, mimo, xr are the significant parameters.

XR - extended range; vertical signal strength seems to give good coverage between floors.

If both computer locations are stacked, this advantage is not needed. Every floor and wall reduces signal strength.

The mimo technology probably works best when it is complemented at the other end.

Hawking.com has good info about antennas & signal propogation.

Your ISP provider may impose restrictions on sharing the connection with additional computers or the router may need to go through another authorization step. Just don't assume that it will automatically connect through your cable/dsl modem.

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:03 PM

Posted 02 March 2008 - 08:14 PM

Most of the techs at work like the Buffalo Wireless Routers - while I like the NetGear products myself (had a bad experience with LinkSys a couple of years ago).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 Cyb3r_Ninj@

Cyb3r_Ninj@

• Members
  • 169 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:03 PM

Posted 07 March 2008 - 06:51 PM

A word of caution on the Routers with onboard 802.11g MIMO or N technology. Because this frequency range is embedded into the Router, it will broadcast in a significantly wider range. This means that the signal will extend well beyond the confines of your home - which will be detectable by a larger range of people with wireless capability.

Be sure to enable security measures (Firewall, WEP Key, etc.) to repel against people who may attempt to eavesdrop onto your wireless network and even worse, compromise and take control over your Router, this can allow them an opening to compromise any system that is detected on your network behind the Router.

If you know that you are only going to use the Wireless router within the confines of your home, you can spend less money on a functional 802.11 a/g router to minimize the broadcast range. Then on the machine which is going to utilize the Wireless Network Connection, invest in a Wireless adapter with 802.11g MIMO or N technology. This will allow the machine which is utilizing the wireless network enough signal reception to pick up the Router anywhere inside your home.

You minimize the potential for network eavesdropping by minimizing the broadcast range of the Router, but you are able to take advantage of the Wireless Network Connection on the computer by giving it a network adapter which maximizes signal reception.

I prefer to go with a USB Wireless Network adapter because you can always transfer that adapter to another computer should you get a new one or the computer breaks down. Also, you don't have to open up the chassis of your machine and its easier to move between computers. The portability of USB is a huge gain.
Bill Gates recognizes the skills... so i suggest you start there and recognize them too...
:: digital.ronin ::

| MCP - ID 5646435, other certifications pending... |

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users