Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Newb With New Computer Questions Help!

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 spartikus

spartikus

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:23 PM

Posted 02 March 2008 - 12:58 PM

Hey you guys sorry for the extremely noob questions but here goes. So I bought a new computer from an online company and have some questions about it. My only computers in the past have been companies like HP and Dell. Well I built a gaming type computer my questions are this. In the past the most video memory I had was like 64 mb at max, most of the time I had a integrated video card. Well this computer has 2 nvidia 8600 GT 1 GB cards running SLI. I don't see much of a difference when I look at web pages extra? Wouldn't it make a differnce having so much video memory that I should see some difference to the past computers I had. I even played some games like Empire Earth etc and can't see much difference at all in the graphics. The other question I have is when I turn the resolution of the screen to the max which is somewhere around 1900 x 1200 for me everything just looks really small there is no increase in colors or anything just that all lettering and icons become extremely small is this what is supposed to happen? Okay lastly here is my build of my new computer can you guys critique it and tell me what you think thank you sorry for such a long post.

Case: Thermaltake Armor Jr
Power Supply ( 600 Watt -- Power Supply SLI Ready )
Processor ( AMD Athlon™64 X2 6400+ Dual-Core CPU w/ HyperTransport Technology )
Processor Cooling ( [=== Silent ===] Extreme-Performance AMD CPU Cooling Fan System Kit Silent & Overclocking Proof = Maximum cooling efficiency for quietness and performance )
Motherboard ( Asus M2N-SLI Deluxe nForce 570-SLI MCP Chipset w/7.1 Sound, Dual Gb LAN, S-ATA Raid, USB 2.0, IEEE-1394 Dual PCI-E MB )
Memory ( 2048MB [1024MB X2] DDR2-800 PC6400 Memory Module Corsair-Value or Major Brand )
Video Card ( [New !!!] 2x NVIDIA GeForce 8600GT 1GB w/DVI + TV Out Video )

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,107 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:23 AM

Posted 02 March 2008 - 04:52 PM

The reason why the typing looks smaller is because of the number of dots per inch (DPI) are increasing thus making them smaller and shrinking the text size. This also increases the depth of field making the screen area seem larger. Having that much graphic processing power won't make everything seem crisper or look all that better. Only software that utilizes all that power such as graphic intensive games will seem all that better. Your frame rates will increase dramatically. Looks like a nice gaming computer!!

Edit: your text problems explained a little better link

Edited by Sneakycyber, 02 March 2008 - 04:55 PM.

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users