Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No internet access ten minutes after startup

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 cshevlin

cshevlin

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:09 AM

Posted 14 March 2005 - 04:53 PM

Hello, I wonder if anyone else has had - or heard of - this problem, which I've been having since Friday.

My computer had become very slow, and I suspected there was something wrong with AVG, so I did a system restore to a time about a month ago when everything was working perfectly.

That solved the speed problem, but something odder began to happen. Now, when I start up my PC, Internet access is fine for ten minutes, but then my browser (IE, but the same thing happens with Firefox) starts giving me 404 errors for every page. Pinging still works, as does email (although these seem to fail after about an hour) but Internet browsing disappears. Also, Zone Alarm has stopped working somehow (system error: please reboot) and can't be uninstalled (it says other software is using the TrueVector engine).

There's nothing wrong with my connection or my router, since my flatmate's PC works fine. I ran Panda Platinum, Ad-Aware and HijackThis. They found some viruses and malware and cleaned them up, but my browser still won't work properly.

I talked to my Dad this evening, and it sounds like he's having a similar problem. Does anyone know what's going on? Is this a new virus, or is there a simple explanation that I'm overlooking?

I'm not usually a big one for emoticons, but if there was one with its head exploding, I'd stick a hundred of them here.

Thanks,

Chris

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 harish

harish

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2005 - 06:24 AM

I have also the similar problem in one of my computers.

#3 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2005 - 12:30 AM

This appears to be more a problem with your connectivity to your ISP than anything that might be caused by your computer. I suggest you call your ISP and have them help resolve the problem.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users