Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

2'nd Harddrive For Storage

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 mcmullan64

mcmullan64

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:37 PM

Posted 02 March 2008 - 09:24 AM

Hi all
Hope this post is in the right place. Here is my problem.
I am running very low on HD space on my current PC- XP SP2- and was wanting to install a second internal HD just for storage.
I have another PC with a 80gb HD on board it works perfectly and has Windows XP professional installed on it and is about 2 years old. Could you please let me know the process of transferring the 80GB HD in the 2 year old PC to my current one.
I tried to format the 80GB HD but it would not let me, and dont know if that is the right thing to do first. Also what would happen if i put it straight into my PC what with the XP operating system on it, would it cause conflicts with it.

look forward to hear from you.
Michael

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2008 - 11:57 AM

If you have your hard drive you want to boot off as master, and the one you don't want to boot off as slave, I believe you should be alright. If that doesn't work though, you might have some settings in the bios that lets you choose which hard drive to boot off first. If your not running windows off the hard drive you want to reformat, you should be able to reformat it then.

Are you ok on the hardware installation process? Your newer computer might use Sata and the older one might use ATA (IDE) hard drives. Your newer computers motherboard probably still has IDE ports on it though, so you should be alright, even if it uses Sata, and the old one uses ATA.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#3 mcmullan64

mcmullan64
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2008 - 12:03 PM

Hi
Thanks alot Sterling14, did as you described and all works well.

Thanks Michael

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users