Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dell Dimension Boot Up Problem

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 ttnbd

ttnbd

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:29 AM

Posted 02 March 2008 - 05:01 AM

I plugged a network cable into my Dell Dimension E520.....and now it's all gone wrong!

When I plugged the cable in I had a few problems...loss of screen mainly and couldn't use mouse or re-boot...so I took the power lead out in order to power down PC.....only real option left to me...waited a bit and put it back in. Now my PC won't boot.

When i turn it on I get 6 beeps and lights 3 and 4 remain on. The cd drive lights come on, but no screen and no boot up.

I thought maybe if I have CD's why not boot up from CD....but no joy :thumbsup:

Am hoping it is simple to solve but me thinks I could be in for major surgery.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 rigacci

rigacci

Fiorentino

• Members
  • 2,604 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:29 AM

Posted 02 March 2008 - 08:38 AM

Looks like you may have a memory stick problem. Try reseating the RAM. Or, if you have 2, remove one.

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/syst...t.htm#wp1054146

Good luck.

DR

#3 ttnbd

ttnbd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2008 - 02:15 AM

You are indeed knowledgeable :flowers: ...I took one RAM stick out and started first time. :trumpet:

When it booted up though it identified a floppy drive that i don't have. :thumbsup: and seems to be looking for it at boot up doh!

I have powered down and re-inserted the meomery and working fine now...just need to work out how to remove the floppy

#4 ttnbd

ttnbd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2008 - 02:59 AM

:flowers: ahaa....sorted the floppy drive. Somehow got an internal drive turned on. Have turned it off and oK now :-)
:trumpet: :thumbsup:

#5 rigacci

rigacci

Fiorentino

• Members
  • 2,604 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:29 AM

Posted 04 March 2008 - 07:23 AM

Great! :thumbsup:

Sometimes you need to go into the BIOS to disable the floppy. Sounds like you found it. :flowers:

DR

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users