Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Question Regarding Media Viewers And New Computer Questions.

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Luvkitty

Luvkitty

• Members
  • 165 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:42 AM

Posted 02 March 2008 - 12:15 AM

Hello All,

I just got my very first brand new desktop computer, and I'm SO excited!! I just want to make sure that I don't do anything to screw it up since my Sony Vaio laptop crashed, and before that I had nothing but problems with it. I still don't know if it's something I did or not, so I'm being extra careful with my new computer.

Here is the info:

I have a Gateway Quadcore (GT5662) and Gateway 24in. HD monitor. My computer came preinstalled with Windows Vista Home Premium Edition. Other than that, I've only had two things installed and one thing downloaded, so far.

A Geek Squad technician came to my home and installed their Webroot Antispyware and Antivirus from ESD, which they said was the best (I hope that was true!). He also installed the software to run my Lexmark printer, removed unnecessary software and start-ups, removed temporary files, and applied "Agent Tweeks." The only thing I've downloaded is a Move media player from Move Network. This was downloaded using a link on Oprah.com in order to take part in her webclass. Other than these things listed, the computer is exactly as it was when it came out of the box.

So, my first question is regarding a video I want to watch online. When I clicked the link to watch it, I got the following message:

"To view this video select the video that is made for the software installed on your computer & the speed of your internet connection. Download Real Player if you are unsure of which viewer you have installed on your computer.

Quick Time (56 K)
Quick Time (T1,Cable,DSL)

Windows Media (56 K)
Windows Media Video for Web Server(56 K)
Windows Media (T1,Cable,DSL)

Real Player (56 K)
Real Player (T1,Cable,DSL)"

How do I know if one of these is already installed on my computer? If none of them are installed, how do I know which one to choose, and how do I find out the speed of my internet connection?

My other question is regarding the upkeep of my computer. I asked the technician if I should be doing anything daily, weekly, monthly, etc. to keep my computer in tip-top working order, and he said no. I wanted to double check with you all here and see if you agree with that statement. For example, I remember being told to do something called, "defrag" when I had my old Sony Vaio, but the technician said Windows Vista has that built into the system already so I didn't need to do it.

Is there any other information I should know about when getting a brand new computer?

Thanks so much for the help. As always, it's much appreciated!

Michele

Edited by Luvkitty, 02 March 2008 - 12:18 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:42 AM

Posted 02 March 2008 - 07:06 AM

Since you have Windows Vista Home Premium installed, you've already got the Windows Media Player installed on your system. To find out about QuickTime or Real Player, click on the Start button, then on Control Panel, then on Uninstall a Program. In that window you can view a list of what's installed on your system.

The list is alphabetical:
QuickTime may be listed under QuickTime or under Apple QuickTime
Real Player should be listed under Real Player

How do you connect to the internet? Who do you get your internet service from? Is it a dialup modem where you have to dial in and put in a password? If not, then you've either got DSL or Cable - depending on who provides your internet service.

You can also go here to check the speed of your connection: http://www.speedtest.net/ Click on the pyramid that's closest to you and let the test run. If your download speed is less than 56, then you're on dial-up. If it's greater than 56 (usually in the range of 1500 to 6000) then you've got cable or DSL. It'll also tell you who your service provider is (just under the download speed in the results).

As for routine maintenance - The biggest things are:
Windows Update (should already be set to automatic)
Antivirus and Antispyware definitions update (should already be set to automatic)
Defragmenting your hard drive (should alread be set to automatic)

Beyond that it'll depend on what you're doing with your system. Clearing out your temporary Internet Files is a good idea, but it'll also remove stuff that you depend on when logging in - so that'll have to be done on a case-by-case basis.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users