Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Disk Partition

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 wenasoga

wenasoga

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:55 AM

Posted 01 March 2008 - 09:02 PM

When I installed UBUNTU 7.10, I partitioned my hard drive into two volumes. I like to keep all my files on a separate partition from the OS. My problem is that Linux will not allow me to access the extra partition.. Root is the owner, but I have not been able to get read and write permission through the GUI. I am still a newbie when it comes to command line (I'm working on it), so I hope someone can guide me through the process of getting the needed permissions by way of the terminal. Thanks..

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Joedude

Joedude

• Members
  • 337 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:55 PM

Posted 02 March 2008 - 03:42 AM

Ubuntu has locked the root account. You can enable it, but the whole mentality is Ubuntu is designed on the "it just works" premise. Which means restricting the use of root to prevent accidental damage to the OS. If you want to adjust read/write permissions, which I don't advise other than temporarily, then use the "sudo" command before the command you wish to use.

BTW: When partitioning for linux, I always seperate the filesystem from user. I end up with 3 partitions. 1 /root, 1 /home and 1 SWAP. This way I can replace my OS with little effect on user accounts. it also enables me to add packages with little or no messing in the root adjust permissions. Some packages aren't compiled properly and wont work until you do adjust them (azureus comes to mind). Anyway, enough waffling.

Here's some usefull links for you:

How to use CHOWN (CHange OWNer)

Commands for changing user rights

How to find the manpages (or Instruction guides for your bash commands)
If someone tells you to su rm -rf /
DON'T DO IT!!!!
Be in the know, Bash smart!

#3 wenasoga

wenasoga
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:55 AM

Posted 02 March 2008 - 09:38 AM

Many thanks, Joe. I've been doing some research and had reached the same conclusion. I'm about to reconfigure right now.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users