Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Display Problem

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 nimby53

nimby53

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:40 AM

Posted 14 March 2005 - 02:45 PM

I recently added a DVD-RW drive to my Compaq desktop and believe all the connections are correct as the existing CD-ROM and new DVD drive both worked fine even after I rebooted. However, after being turned off for a few hours, I turned the computer back on and the windows startup page and subsequent desktop is all messed up. Their are several blocks of white/black stripes in the middle of the screen, but the rest of the desktop is broken into sections that are clearly visible, but out of order like a jigsaw puzzle. The upper right hand of the screen is now in the lower left. The "Start" button appears in the upper right and so on. While some of the icons are hidden from view, the applications that are accessible seem to work fine - I was able to jump on IE and browse in a 5" x 5" section that I could view to try to troubleshoot this. When navigating on the desktop, if I need to get to an icon that's on the right side of the page, I move the mouse all the way off of the screen to the left to get there (same holds true with getting to the top and bottom.) I tried to pull up safe mode, but the screen is so broken up that I couldn't tell what I was I doing when I got there. I've searched the net and was unable to find anybody with the same symptoms. I have no idea if this is a monitor, video card, windows xp, etc problem. Please help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Futs

Futs

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:40 AM

Posted 15 March 2005 - 01:35 AM

hehe for starters have you tried removing the DVD-RW?

Also try going to start >> Programs >> Accesories >> system tools >> system restore.

try taking it back to a date before this started happening. if after this still nothing might be the graphics card provided that your resolution and frequency is in bounds
Posted Image

#3 LoLucky

LoLucky

• Members
  • 331 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:40 AM

Posted 15 March 2005 - 08:07 AM

Also a thing to consider is a Joke program that was time activated.
Just for the sake of being safe how bout you post a HJT Log and have our Experts look it over they might find the culprit.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users