Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hello All, New Build, Won't Post...help Pleeaase...

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 mfarre03

mfarre03

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:21 AM

Posted 01 March 2008 - 08:22 PM

Hi, this is my first post, my name is Mike and I'm from BUffalo NY. I heard of your forum through someone on IRC. I am having trouble getting my computer to post.
I doublechecked everything...I get a long beep into what I think is 2 or 3 fast beeps. This what I am running.

Sata DVD Burner

Sata HD

Mobo
CPU
Video Card
RAM
HD
CPU Cooler
Silver Compound

Case and PSU

I get just a black screen, I thought I had a bad video card so went out to Bestbuy and picked up a new 9600gt and it did the same. It doesnt matter if the card is in or out, I get the same sound at POST> I can't think of what I did wrong.

Thanks in advance,
Mike

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rigacci

rigacci

Fiorentino

• Members
  • 2,604 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2008 - 08:52 AM

Page 90 in the motherboard manual says that those beeps are either a Monitor/Graphics card failure (which you already tested) or a Keyboard error.

Also, make certain the Mobo is not shorting out on the case.

Good luck.

DR

#3 mfarre03

mfarre03
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2008 - 09:25 AM

How do I know if its shorting out on the case? The mobo is on the standoffs, screwed right to six of them.

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2008 - 02:16 PM

How do I know if its shorting out on the case? The mobo is on the standoffs, screwed right to six of them.

Sometimes sloppy solder traces can run over and touch things they shouldn't. The best thing to do is to place the board on a piece of cardboard on the tabletop. Plug devices back in one at a time to determine what is faulty

Edited by garmanma, 02 March 2008 - 02:16 PM.

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#5 mfarre03

mfarre03
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2008 - 07:19 AM

Done, put it on a piece of cardboard, still same beeps. The Sata Cd rom and Sata HD don't do anyting, is tha because the mobo is dead? I'm going to RMA the board.

#6 mfarre03

mfarre03
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2008 - 11:57 AM

I am picking up an Antec Earthwatt 500w power supply from Bestbuy today, maybe my psu is bad? I will install it later tonight and leave my findings then. If this does end up being the problem, should I keep it or get a higher rated supply? My configuration is up top.

#7 rigacci

rigacci

Fiorentino

• Members
  • 2,604 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2008 - 04:02 PM

If you are intending on doing heavy gaming and will be getting upgrades, you might want to go a little higher on the watts. Personally, I could do with the 500 watt PS but I'm not doing any gaming.

DR

#8 mfarre03

mfarre03
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2008 - 07:50 PM

I basically bought it just to use for testing. It worked and my computer started up but it will not recognize the Sata HD or Sata DVD burner. I am not sure what I am doing wrong. The cd rom will not even open. Anyone feel like giving me a clue?

#9 Billy O'Neal

Billy O'Neal

Visual C++ STL Maintainer

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,304 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:21 AM

Posted 04 March 2008 - 08:33 PM

You might want to make sure the power from the new supply is connected securely. Its not hard to forget to attach the sata power connectors to the optical drives......

Billy3
Twitter - My statements do not establish the official position of Microsoft Corporation, and are my own personal opinion. (But you already knew that, right?)
Posted Image

#10 mfarre03

mfarre03
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2008 - 08:51 PM

They are connected...

#11 mfarre03

mfarre03
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2008 - 01:00 AM

Update:
Received my HD and Optical back from Newegg. I installed them and low and behold they showed up in my bios. I was right, my first PSU fried both Optical and HD. Everything seems to be working A ok. I am going to stay with the Earthwatt, it works and with only one video card I shouldn't have any power problems.

Thanks,
Mike

#12 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,109 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2008 - 06:42 PM

Glad to hear you got it working. Thank you for posting your Solutions :thumbsup:

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users