Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

External Hdd Turns Internal!

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Andrew D'Angelo

Andrew D'Angelo

• Banned
  • 127 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:01 AM

Posted 01 March 2008 - 07:50 PM

ok so i had an external drive given to me, the person who gave it to me said that there was alot of music on there and that if i could fix it i could have it? so when i get home i realize he didnt give me the right power cord for it. so knowing that an external hdd=an internal hdd with an adapter on it, i opened the enclosure and put the HDD as a slave in my computer. It came up and installed(in vista)But its like you need to format it before you can use it. Is tehre anyway to get around this as i dont want to delete everything...id like to save the music, then format?!! Thanks for all/any answers.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2008 - 08:17 PM

Why do you need to format it? Is it giving you a message to do so? Is it recognized in My Computer and Device Manager? If it shows in My Computer, right-click on it and choose Explore and locate the music files
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 Andrew D'Angelo

Andrew D'Angelo
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 127 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2008 - 08:38 PM

iTs giving me a message, i clicked explore..and it said Must be formated click here to format or whatever(same message) and its recognized in both Device manager ande MY computer.

Edited by Andrew D'Angelo, 01 March 2008 - 08:39 PM.

#4 smurfgod

smurfgod

• Members
  • 446 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:01 AM

Posted 02 March 2008 - 09:39 AM

Does it have an OS on it? I've never run a dual boot system but it seems like it might have problems processing vista information in XP. if it was me i'd unplug my original, set the one that says it needs formatted to master and fire er up. if it still says its got nothing then i'd tend to think that it really doesn't have anything on it.

#5 Andrew D'Angelo

Andrew D'Angelo
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 127 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2008 - 01:07 PM

IM on vista right now, trying to access a hard drive that was inside a removable hdd(its a regular IDE harddrive), It had no OS on it. Someone please tell me if i HAVE to format it, or if the stuff can be taken off. Vista is MAKING me format it. BUt i want to know if there is some program that will open it.

#6 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2008 - 01:29 PM

For some reason Vista is seeing it as a raw, unformatted drive. You might have to put it back in an external enclosure. If you still have the old enclosure, you can get a new power supply at Radio Shack. Just match the voltage and milliamp rating. They're under 10 bucks

Edited by garmanma, 02 March 2008 - 01:30 PM.

Mark
Posted Image

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,406 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:01 AM

Posted 02 March 2008 - 04:16 PM

Sounds to me like the jumper setting might need to be changed...to conform to the computer it's preently in.

Some enclosures use the Master setting, some use the Slave setting.

Many computers come with all drives using the C/S setting.

When the drive is added, it probably needs to use C/S too...or anything other than Master...for a jumper setting.

Louis

#8 Andrew D'Angelo

Andrew D'Angelo
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 127 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2008 - 04:49 PM

its reading the drive fine. Its reading it as a slave drive. just as it should. i need to know one thing, and one thing only. When a drive is added to a computer setup as a slave.(it already has various types of information on it that was put on by another computter)is it possible to NOT have to format it.

#9 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2008 - 05:28 PM

its reading the drive fine. Its reading it as a slave drive. just as it should. i need to know one thing, and one thing only. When a drive is added to a computer setup as a slave.(it already has various types of information on it that was put on by another computter)is it possible to NOT have to format it.

Yes, that's why you're getting all of these other suggestions
Mark
Posted Image

#10 Andrew D'Angelo

Andrew D'Angelo
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 127 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2008 - 09:05 PM

Yes, that's why you're getting all of these other suggestions

most of the suggestions, are immetarial to what im trying to do., although i do appretiate them

Edited by Andrew D'Angelo, 03 March 2008 - 09:06 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users