Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ip Problems

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Quasimodo

Quasimodo

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:06 PM

Posted 01 March 2008 - 04:06 PM

I have a crappy SpeedTouch 330 USB modem, as far as I am aware my IP Address is dynamic (different everytime i connect to my ISP).

However, if i go to Rapidshare or other file-sharing sites it says 'your IP address is already downloading' or 'you have downloaded 1.5 Gigabytes today' and i haven't been near the site for a week!

It's drivin' me nuts.

Anybody have a clue what's going on???

MANY THX.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ucanfixit

ucanfixit

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:06 PM

Posted 04 March 2008 - 08:02 AM

You didn't specifically mention it; however, if you have a wireless router that is unsecure (ie, unencrypted), then maybe someone close to your signal (ie, a neighbor) is intecepting it and using it without your knowledge. Just a thought...

#3 mitz

mitz

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:06 PM

Posted 04 March 2008 - 08:22 AM

Does this 1.5gb show up in your internet useage? Did it really happen?
Have a great day guys!!!
Free Computer Tips
Fill Your Money Box

#4 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:06 PM

Posted 04 March 2008 - 09:06 AM

'you have downloaded 1.5 Gigabytes today' and i haven't been near the site for a week!

If you have a dynamic ip, that means that it changes every time that you connect (which you already know). Since IP addresses are recycled, there is a very good likelihood that you were assigned the IP of someone that may have just downloaded something. That would give you the message "you have downloaded 1.5 Gigabytes today". If you really are getting an error message that says 'your IP address is already downloading', then someone is piggy-backing on your signal, and coincidentally happens to start downloading at the same time you are. Unless you are part of a network, or you have wireless, that isn't possible.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users