Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Randomly Shuts Down/restarts

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4 replies to this topic

#1 Truss

Truss

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:25 AM

Posted 01 March 2008 - 03:52 PM

This isn't the same type of emergency I've come to this board about before but something that is starting to worry me.

My computer, after running for several hours or sometimes several minutes, will lock up and restart itself. I've already gone into the Control Panel>System>Advanced>Startup & Recovery and deselected "Automatically restart computer" so maybe I'll get an error message next time.
This is something that happens when I'm using lots of system processes and sometimes when my computer is just on and running no extra processes.

I thought it might be the power supply fan but I'm suspicious of that conclusion because it does restart when I'm not running any processes (video, Winamp, Cubase).

Any ideas? I'm running XP with a Pentium 4 3.40ghz and 768MB of RAM so it seems like I shouldn't be having any memory issues.

Thanks for any and all help!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,026 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:25 AM

Posted 01 March 2008 - 07:48 PM

As you have mentioned there are a few possibilities from bad RAM to malware and even dirt in the case causing over heating.. Clean it.
Get the error message when it comes and post that back.
Have you run AV and spyware scans from safe or normal mode?
You can run Memtest86 -
Also look in Event Viewer for items
To open Event Viewer, follow these steps: 1. Click Start, and then click Control Panel. Click Performance and Maintenance, then click Administrative Tools, and then double-click Computer Management. Or, open the MMC containing the Event Viewer snap-in.
2. In the console tree, click Event Viewer.

The Application, Security, and System logs are displayed in the Event Viewer window.

More info How to view and manage event logs in Event Viewer in Windows XP

You can also run this scan and post back the log
Download and scan with SUPERAntiSpyware Free for Home Users
  • Double-click SUPERAntiSpyware.exe and use the default settings for installation.
  • An icon will be created on your desktop. Double-click that icon to launch the program.
  • If asked to update the program definitions, click "Yes". If not, update the definitions before scanning by selecting "Check for Updates". (If you encounter any problems while downloading the updates, manually download and unzip them from here.)
  • Under "Configuration and Preferences", click the Preferences button.
  • Click the Scanning Control tab.
  • Under Scanner Options make sure the following are checked (leave all others unchecked):
    • Close browsers before scanning.
    • Scan for tracking cookies.
    • Terminate memory threats before quarantining.
  • Click the "Close" button to leave the control center screen.
  • Back on the main screen, under "Scan for Harmful Software" click Scan your computer.
  • On the left, make sure you check C:\Fixed Drive.
  • On the right, under "Complete Scan", choose Perform Complete Scan.
  • Click "Next" to start the scan. Please be patient while it scans your computer.
  • After the scan is complete, a Scan Summary box will appear with potentially harmful items that were detected. Click "OK".
  • Make sure everything has a checkmark next to it and click "Next".
  • A notification will appear that "Quarantine and Removal is Complete". Click "OK" and then click the "Finish" button to return to the main menu.
  • If asked if you want to reboot, click "Yes".
  • To retrieve the removal information after reboot, launch SUPERAntispyware again.
    • Click Preferences, then click the Statistics/Logs tab.
    • Under Scanner Logs, double-click SUPERAntiSpyware Scan Log.
    • If there are several logs, click the current dated log and press View log. A text file will open in your default text editor.
    • Please copy and paste the Scan Log results in your next reply.
  • Click Close to exit the program.
Note:How to enter safe mode(XP)
Using the F8 Method
Restart your computer.
When the machine first starts again it will generally list some equipment that is installed in your machine, amount of memory, hard drives installed etc. At this point you should gently tap the F8 key repeatedly until you are presented with a Windows XP Advanced Options menu.
Select the option for Safe Mode using the arrow keys.
Then press enter on your keyboard to boot into Safe Mode.

How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 Truss

Truss
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:25 AM

Posted 07 March 2008 - 09:57 AM

Well, I've yet to have my computer shut down since I posted this but I'm going to download that stuff you mentioned anyway as I seem to often have problems with the old box.

Thanks for your help!

#4 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,026 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:25 AM

Posted 07 March 2008 - 11:09 AM

You're welcome this topic is here if you find something new.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:25 AM

Posted 09 March 2008 - 06:34 PM

Hi Truss,

I have moved your HijackThis log to the Misplaced HJT Logs forum.

Please follow all directions that I've posted, as a reply to your log.
By following these instruction, it will ensure, that your HJT log is taken care of, in the most timely manner.
Your log can be found at this link:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/135480/trusses-hjt-log/

Since you have posted a HJT log, I'm going to close this topic.
From this point on, the HijackThis Team are the only members you should take advice from, until your log has been declared clean.
If you have any questions, don't hesitate to send me a PM.
Chaos reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users