Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dachew Needs Help

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:09 PM

Posted 01 March 2008 - 03:15 PM

A close friend of mine who does dj work brought me his new toshiba laptop with the dreaded OS. He's used to me setting up a streamlined power user XP for him, we took his last laptop and reloaded xp w/o all the crud that comes installed on them.

It's critical that this new computer with 2 to 3 times the horsepower work as good or better than his old xp one.

I have found a few of the old xp tweaks working, looks like it will take a month of sundays just to uninstall the trials and crud.

Are there any good guides avalable?

I don't mind something a little dangerous as I am thinking about using the restore disks anyway since it was a floor model for a little while.
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2008 - 07:10 PM

I haven't found a good tweak guide for Vista - but the same tricks that work for XP should work for Vista. Try vLite to streamline the installation, then use a bit of research at Black Viper to customize the services and it should run just fine.

Don't try SP1 until you've got it up and running (and have an image made). I've heard of a few reboot issues (not with Toshiba's) that SP1 has caused.

Sending a PM your way....:huh:
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,760 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:09 AM

Posted 01 March 2008 - 07:32 PM

The optimizations would be basically those for a DAW (Digital Audio Workstation), eg:

http://www.audioforums.com/windows-vista-optimization.php
Top 5 things that never get done:

#4 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2008 - 08:33 PM

I'll be the rest of the night just removing the crud? It was a floor model since last fall, compusa had it marked down to below half price(500$ out the door)

got a hd combo drive

:huh:

had 2 or 3 protection suites running

floor techs :huh:

thanks guys and wish me luck

tosh satellite 205-S6347
Chewy

#5 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2008 - 10:34 PM

I am to the point where I am ready to mess with system restore, I couldn't find any options for limiting it's size.

This 200 gig drive is going to be pressed for space and I would like to create a data partition. The othre option is to disable restore but I am reluctant to do that.

The guide here does not mention the ability to limit restore points in size?
Chewy

#6 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2008 - 11:46 PM

Vista has gone overboard, after culling crud and disk cleanup, I still couldn't find 28 gigs, programs and system, no data are down to 12 gigs, the 28 gigs were restore points

looks like the only limit is by downsizing the system partition, this a big screwup by Microsoft?

defrag took forever

Edited by DaChew, 01 March 2008 - 11:47 PM.

Chewy

#7 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,760 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:09 AM

Posted 02 March 2008 - 06:24 AM

Seems you have to use the evil sounding Volume Shadow Copy Administrative Command-Line Tool:

http://lifehacker.com/software/windows-vis...sage-254365.php
Top 5 things that never get done:

#8 figgis41

figgis41

• Members
  • 801 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:09 PM

Posted 02 March 2008 - 06:32 AM

hi Chewy,,,,, this make's a change,,,, me helping you,,,lol,,,,, you can reduce the amount of disc space allocated to sys restor, my 350gig hdd used 45gig for sys restor so i changed it to 20gig & all is fine,,,, take a look at this link,,, also use the Black Viper's site as John surgested to stop unneeeded services running on auto,,,, i would also stop win defender form running as its usless and is always contacting back to microsoft in the background,,,,,, good luck

http://www.vista4beginners.com/System-Restore-Space-Used
Figgis,,,, LUFC

#9 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2008 - 08:47 AM

gosh, more homework

afaik know vista home premium doesn't support volume shadow copy??????

I do need to limit the durn thing or turn it off, my goal is a system partition of 40-50 gigs, like me my friend does some video work and a lot of programs want 10 gigs free on the system drive(super for one), once he sees how a core 2 duo tears them up compared to a P4 3Ghz(his desktop).

My areas of expertiese are very limited as you can see, I will not even ever try Linux, too old, too many brain cells gone.

also stop win defender

that was one of the first tasks I did, tried to uninstall it, didn't realize it was part of the OS

Edited by DaChew, 02 March 2008 - 08:59 AM.

Chewy

#10 Advanced beginer

Advanced beginer

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:09 PM

Posted 07 March 2008 - 01:50 AM

I am to the point where I am ready to mess with system restore, I couldn't find any options for limiting it's size.

This 200 gig drive is going to be pressed for space and I would like to create a data partition. The othre option is to disable restore but I am reluctant to do that.

The guide here does not mention the ability to limit restore points in size?

I can assure you there is no ability to limit restore points when using this option. I think it's a gamble at this time to create data partions either. I have found much with vista unpredictable, as fascinating as it is. I CAN say this: I have rolled the dice twice just to see how stable the system restore option is, and has worked solidly. Just be sure to go straight back and turn system restore back on after the re-boot. Your 200gig drive problem will shock you! Just be patient, and wait for more restore points.

#11 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2008 - 03:34 AM

I shrank the system partition twice, first to 45 gigs and then later to 35 gigs, I used the command to set the limit to 4 or 5 gigs?

Either way with hibernate and a couple of other features turned off that's about as small as I could get vista and still leave him some restore points and a 10+ gigs free space in case he does some exotic video conversion

that partition resizing is a great feature but I suspect it's best done at the very beginning
Chewy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users