Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Bootup Problem

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 utpride347

utpride347

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:06 PM

Posted 01 March 2008 - 02:43 PM

I really need some help on this. So today, like every Saturday I ran my antivirus software. About an hour or so later I came back to check to see if it was done and my computer for all intents and purposes had become unresponsive/frozen. It was running so slow I couldn't access the desktop after I finally got the screensaver to clear. So I restarted it by powering down and this is the message I got:

"Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
<windows root> \system32\hal.dll.
Please reinstall a copy of the above file
."

So I checked Microsoft's page and did what they said to correct this problem. I'm not too tech savvy so I don't know if I did everything correctly as I didn't completely understand what the instructions were saying. Plus there were three separate options to "fix" the problem and I don't know which one best suited my problem.

Anyway I rebooted and now I get this message:

"NTLDR is missing"

I've called Microsoft who of course directed me to the computer's manufactuer and they just want me to use the pre-installed restore wizard which will erase everything on my computer. I was hoping there's a way to repair the computer without losing all of my data. The computer in question had a pre-installed copy of Windows on it but I also have a CD.

I haven't installed or uninstalled any new software recently. I can get to the Safe Mode options screen but I can't enter any form of Safe Mode. Any other info you need to better access my problem please feel free to ask.

Thanks a lot in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 madman6510

madman6510

• Members
  • 384 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:06 PM

Posted 01 March 2008 - 03:39 PM

Go to www.bootdisk.com/bootdisk.htm and download the DOS 6.22 disk and run the program. Boot to the floppy disk and then type
FDISK /MBR

That should reinstall the Windows bootloader and fix your problem :thumbsup: .

#3 utpride347

utpride347
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2008 - 04:10 PM

Thanks a lot for responding madman. I went ahead and tried your suggestion and got this "No Fixed Drive Present" or something like that. Then when I rebooted I got the NTLDR message again.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,873 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2008 - 04:44 PM

<<...but I also have a CD>>

Is that an XP install CD from Microsoft...are a restore CD from the boxmaker?

Louis

#5 utpride347

utpride347
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2008 - 04:57 PM

I have both. I have a Windows XP install CD Rom and a disk I created from the factory installed XP which has a Recovery Wizard on it. Thanks for responding.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,873 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2008 - 05:24 PM

Something to start with: CH000465 NTLDR is missing - http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000465.htm

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/318728

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/findbyerrorm...drmissingxp.htm

When I've gotten that message, I believe that a repair install of XP usually fixed it for me....but I really don't remember :thumbsup:.

But, I suggest trying the chkdsk /r and fixboot/fixmbr commands from the Recovery Console before doing that (if you become inclined that way).

Generally, I try to verify that there are no problems with the hard drive (why I run chkdsk /r), check the BIOS and Disk Management (making sure that the drives are reflected as they should be)...then try fixboot and/or fixmbr.

Difficult to troubleshoot, can be so many unrelated things.

The one thing I suggest is that you back up any data files on the hard drive before beginning anything.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 01 March 2008 - 05:29 PM.

#7 utpride347

utpride347
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2008 - 05:33 PM

How do I access my data now though? Or did you mean I should just as a rule always back up my data?

#8 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2008 - 07:42 PM

To get data off your hard drive you could always remove the hard drive and install it in another computer as a 'slave' drive. The working computer should still boot up from the 'good' Master hard drive, and then you will be able to navigate (Start > My Computer) to the slave drive and recover your data. More info on how to install a second drive can be found HERE.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#9 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2008 - 08:28 AM

You should always back up your data - you never know when this sort of problem will rear it's ugly head! :thumbsup:

I'm concerned about the "No Fixed Drive Present" message that you got when attempting to fix the NTLDR error. Presuming that you fixed the hal.dll error, then next step in the boot sequence is to transfer control to ntoskrnl.exe and the Splash Screen should show.

Since it didn't show, I'd have to suspect an issue with your hard drive as being the most likely problem. First, I suggest using the drive no more than is absolutely necessary. If it is dying, each use makes it less likely that you'll be able to recover your data. So data recovery should be the first priority.

After that, I'd suggest downloading a bootable hard drive diagnostic utility from the manufacturer of your hard drive and letting it run the long test.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#10 utpride347

utpride347
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2008 - 09:40 AM

First let me apologize if this is in ther wrong section. I'm not too computer savvy. This past weekend my comuter died on me. It froze up and when I restarted it gave me a "missing hal.dll" error that turned into a missing NTLDR error and went back and forth as I tried a number of different things to try and save my personal data/files. I came here for help, but unfortunately no one was able to offer anything that worked. So, I ended up reformatting my drive using the Recovery Wizard disks that returns everything back to manufactuer installed. Right now everything is running fine. I trying to re-download all of Microsoft's updates, which is taking forever, but otherwise no major problems....yet.

The issue I'm having now is that when I turn my computer on it doesn't go right to Windows and my login screen. It gives some bootup error. Like "check bootup device" which I can only assume means the bootup priority is switched. I hear the CD-ROM checked, then the 3 1/2'' floppy, then that error screen appears. If I hit Ctrl+Alt+Delete it reboots to the proper place and I can access my computer without any other problems. I have accessed the BIOS screen (I think that's what its called) where you assign boot priority and everything was listed correctly, but I selected the proper way anyway, saved my changes and exited. This did not fix the problem. I was hoping and wondering if someone on here knew what the problem might be and how to fix it. Thank you very much in advance.

Mod Edit:Topics merged for continuity purposes ~TMacK

Edited by TMacK, 05 March 2008 - 01:00 PM.

#11 rf6647

rf6647

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:06 AM

Posted 06 March 2008 - 01:41 PM

when I turn my computer on it doesn't go right to Windows and my login screen. It gives some bootup error. Like "check bootup device"

I interpret the symptom to be coming from the bios. A failing HD is equally suspect, as is, a corrupted boot sector on the HD. Unless a defective CD or FD is inserted, I have trouble guessing at another cause that keeps the HD out of the first boot, but accessible on the re-boot.

The following recommendation should be considered ONLY IF the Recovery software is a complete set of CDs. If you rely on using the Recovery Partition on the HD, these steps overwrite the entire HD.

For the brand of HD, use the installation CD to delete all partitions; make new partitions (according to your needs); format partitions.

Using the Recovery CDs, rebuild the Recovery Partition & Windows XP partition.

The meaning of <according to your needs>:
Installation CD performs FDISK
HD's are so large these days that a spare patition has many uses.
The Recovery Partition is the first partition on the drive and can be no smaller than presently used.
The second partition: Size the XP partition to give plenty of room to grow.

My experience using Recovery software is limited to Compaq. I did not trust that the FDISK was performed.

My experience using XP Recovery Console's 'fixboot' and 'fixmbr' led me to the total rebuild described here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users