Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ie7 On Vista Can't Handle Certificates Signed With Sha1

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 dominose

dominose

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:53 PM

Posted 01 March 2008 - 12:52 PM

So I have IE7 on Vista. When I try to access the website http://webmail.freeshell.org I get an error "internet explorer cannot access the webpage".
It should be saying that there's a problem with the certificate, and let you decide whether to go on. IE7 can open some other secure websites.
I did a lot of surfing trying to figure it out. It seems like the problem is that this webpage has a self-signed certificate, and it's not signed using RSA algorithm, it uses SHA1.
IE7 on Windows XP accesses the website fine. Apparently IE6 also works.
I think this is the problem because I found the problem described online in 2 places, http://blogs.atlassian.com/developer/2007/...ta_and_ssl.html
and another atlassian.com website. I had tried a lot of suggestions I found online and none of them worked. I installed all the updates I've received from Microsoft.
It's apparently a bug in IE7 on Vista.
If anyone else has IE7 on Vista it might be interesting to see if you get the same error trying to get to this webpage. I have the version of IE7 that came with the "upgrade" to Vista. I wish I'd stuck with Windows XP.
Laura

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,077 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:53 PM

Posted 01 March 2008 - 07:00 PM

I get a "bad certificate" page with the option to ignore it and continue on to the page. Ignoring it lets me into the logon page.

Maybe you can turn off the IE protected mode?
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 dominose

dominose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2008 - 09:47 AM

I get a "bad certificate" page with the option to ignore it and continue on to the page. Ignoring it lets me into the logon page.

That's what it should be doing. But are you using IE7 on Windows Vista?

#4 usasma

usasma

• 25,077 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2008 - 10:27 AM

IE7 (32 bit version), Vista Ultimate, SP1, x64 bit OS, UAC disabled (so protected mode in IE7 is disabled)
Did you try turning off the protected mode?
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 dominose

dominose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2008 - 11:04 AM

IE7 (32 bit version), Vista Ultimate, SP1, x64 bit OS, UAC disabled (so protected mode in IE7 is disabled)
Did you try turning off the protected mode?

Yes, I have webmail.freeshell.org in the "trusted sites" zone and it says "protected mode off" when I go there.
I also tried turning off UAC, I still get only "internet explorer cannot display the webpage"
When I do "winver" I get Version 6.0 (Build 6000) Says 32-bit operating system. So that's different from yours. It's Vista Home Premium. I'm pretty sure I don't have SP1, that sounds like something you buy and I haven't bought any upgrades to Vista since I installed it April '7.

IE is version 7.0.6000.16609, cipher strength 256-bit
I've installed all the "important" and "recommended" updates I've gotten.

I know viruses can cause weird behavior, but having found this problem mentioned online on the atlassian.com website, not having any virus symptoms, and having scanned my whole computer with an antivirus program (and with windows defender) and nothing came up - if it were a virus, it's an eerily silent one ...

Do you think your operating system and version of IE7 is significantly different from mine? Maybe it's something that's been fixed in newer versions of Vista, it sounds like your version is newer.

thanks
Laura

#6 usasma

usasma

• 25,077 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2008 - 12:07 PM

There are significant differences between your system and mine. In particular, Service Pack 1 is a large change (changing versions from .6000 to .6001) Since this change was reflected in my IE7, I'd have to assume that some changes were made in the IE7 engine.

SP1 is a download for Vista that will be released soon. Search google for Vista SP1 or Vista Service Pack 1 to see what it'll offer you.

Can you access this website in Vista by using another browser? You can get Firefox for free from here: http://www.mozilla.com/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users