Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Free Firewall

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 fildil

fildil

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:52 PM

Posted 01 March 2008 - 11:49 AM

I've been using Zone Alarm, but lately I've had trouble with it. Somebody told me that ZA doesn't work so well with AVG free anti-virus. I also have, Spybot, Superantispyware and Spyware Blaster installed. Can you recommend another free firewall? I've been using my Windows firewall, but I've been told that it doesn't monitor both ways. Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tobyo

tobyo

• Members
  • 703 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:52 PM

Posted 01 March 2008 - 12:15 PM

I've been using Comodo firewall along with AVG and super antispyware and haven't had any problems.

#3 david28

david28

Forum Member

• Banned
  • 1,614 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:22 PM

Posted 01 March 2008 - 06:16 PM

I highly recommend COMODO Firewall Pro, it works great with AVG so you shouldn't have any problems. :thumbsup: You can find it here.

Also, you said that you think Windows Firewall only blocks incoming and not outgoing, this correct.

Edited by david28, 01 March 2008 - 06:19 PM.

#4 skyfuser

skyfuser

• Members
  • 470 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:52 PM

Posted 01 March 2008 - 06:33 PM

ZA comes with the Ask Toolbar as "ZA Spy Blocker." It really doesn't do anything, and it's notorious for adverstising... crapware, yes?
I also strongly recommend COMODO. It also comes with a option Defense+ which monitors system changes and stops suspicious attempts.
"If a man is offered a fact which goes against his instincts, he will scrutinize it closely, and unless the evidence is overwhelming, he will refuse to believe it. If, on the other hand, he is offered something which affords a reason for acting in accordance to his instincts, he will accept it even on the slightest evidence. The origin of myths is explained in this way." - Bertrand Russell

#5 fildil

fildil
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2008 - 08:00 PM

Thanks everybody, I'm going to give Comodo a try.

#6 david28

david28

Forum Member

• Banned
  • 1,614 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2008 - 09:49 PM

Once you try COMODO, I doubt that you will turn it down. Also, yes as skyfuser said, the Defense+ is a very good feature that comes with the firewall. :thumbsup:

#7 DSTM

DSTM

"Bleepin' Aussie Addict"

• Members
  • 2,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:52 PM

Posted 02 March 2008 - 03:45 AM

I had Comodo Firewall and it drove me nuts, Having to OK everything time after time, even with the remember box checked.
Zone Alarm Firewall is my choice. The download site,I used, has 43 Million+ downloads, and glowing reports about Zone Alarm,and I'm very happy with the ease of use. :thumbsup:

#8 david28

david28

Forum Member

• Banned
  • 1,614 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2008 - 12:19 AM

Well if COMODO doesn't work with your sysetm very good or you just don't want it (I recommend it that you do use it though) then Zone Alarm is also a fairly good choice.

#9 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Members
  • 1,568 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2008 - 11:17 PM

ZA comes with the Ask Toolbar as "ZA Spy Blocker." It really doesn't do anything, and it's notorious for adverstising... crapware, yes?

What is a ASK Toolbar?
What is ZA Spy Blocker, there is no such product.
What is it that ZA doesn't do?
What advertising or crapware are you refering to?

Having used ZA free and few flavors of the paid versions for over 5 years and having used ZA free exclusively for four years, the biggest crapware I got was at most 3-4 tracking cookies a month. So I really have trouble following the "it doesn't do anything" idea. Read HELP?

As far as ZA not playing well with AVG or some other antivirus, all it takes is to read the instructions and setup permissions correctly. On the other hand, install it on a dirty computer or one with too many security firewalls and antiviruses, and you're asking for trouble.

#10 skyfuser

skyfuser

• Members
  • 470 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:52 PM

Posted 04 March 2008 - 12:04 AM

What is a ASK Toolbar?
What is ZA Spy Blocker, there is no such product.
What is it that ZA doesn't do?
What advertising or crapware are you refering to?

Having used ZA free and few flavors of the paid versions for over 5 years and having used ZA free exclusively for four years, the biggest crapware I got was at most 3-4 tracking cookies a month. So I really have trouble following the "it doesn't do anything" idea. Read HELP?

As far as ZA not playing well with AVG or some other antivirus, all it takes is to read the instructions and setup permissions correctly. On the other hand, install it on a dirty computer or one with too many security firewalls and antiviruses, and you're asking for trouble.

tos226, try going here you'll see what I'm talking about.
"If a man is offered a fact which goes against his instincts, he will scrutinize it closely, and unless the evidence is overwhelming, he will refuse to believe it. If, on the other hand, he is offered something which affords a reason for acting in accordance to his instincts, he will accept it even on the slightest evidence. The origin of myths is explained in this way." - Bertrand Russell

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users