Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Disable F1 For Windows Help?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 jhsmurray

jhsmurray

• Members
  • 383 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:44 AM

Posted 01 March 2008 - 10:36 AM

Just wondering if anyone knows how to do this. I keep hitting it by accident with my clumsy fingers, and am getting annoyed with the windows help popup - btw I can't find anything in Windows help on the subject :huh:

Acer Aspire 5732z
Processor: Intel Pentium III Xeon, 2200 MHz
RAM: 3 GB
Display: Mobile Intel GMA 4500M

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2008 - 06:58 PM

I'm not sure, but I think that Toshiba has a keyboard utility (maybe in Control Panel) that'll help with this?
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 jhsmurray

jhsmurray
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 383 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2008 - 05:34 AM

Unfortunately, none that I could find. I was really hoping to find the entry in the registry that starts C:\Windows\HelpPane.exe when the F1 key is pressed - that way F1 would still work in other apps.

According to an Ask Leo article, I can use a program called keytweak. Although its not intended for use with Vista, I can run it in XP // Admin mode and seems to run fine. Now my F1 is globally remapped to `, which should be fine for my purposes. Hope fully those registry changes that happened for the re-map hasn't caused any damage . :huh:

Acer Aspire 5732z
Processor: Intel Pentium III Xeon, 2200 MHz
RAM: 3 GB
Display: Mobile Intel GMA 4500M

#4 dawian

dawian

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:44 AM

Posted 18 March 2009 - 02:22 AM

I had this problem mainly in Total Commander when changing drives, sometimes I accidentally pressed win instead of alt + F1 and bleep, the annoying help window comes out ... after searching for different solutions I didnt find any good registry switch or system service that would disable help center. So I did it my way - as far as win+F1 is trigger for a file HELPPANE.EXE placed in win directory, I changed security permissions for this file - meaning, in permissions, I removed "read and execute" permission for both administrators and users. I left other permissions as they were, just in case system itself needed this file.
Also, have in mind that before changing permissions of helppane.exe you need to take ownership, meaning, change owner from TrustedInstall to yourself.
And there you go, in case of any problems, you can easily set permissions back.

#5 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:44 PM

Posted 02 March 2010 - 12:20 PM

You may disable it and need it one day later.

#6 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• BC Advisor
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2010 - 11:08 PM

You can remap the key as described here which is exactly what the software keytweak does. So you are using the right tool already.

Edited by Romeo29, 03 March 2010 - 11:10 PM.

#7 XP1

XP1

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2012 - 06:29 PM

Rename or delete "%WINDIR%\HelpPane.exe".

Works on Windows Vista.

Run "Disable help.bat" as administrator:
takeown /f "%WINDIR%\HelpPane.exe"
icacls "%WINDIR%\HelpPane.exe" /grant Administrators:F
ren "%WINDIR%\HelpPane.exe" "HelpPane.exe.bak"

takeown /f "%WINDIR%\winhlp32.exe"
icacls "%WINDIR%\winhlp32.exe" /grant Administrators:F
ren "%WINDIR%\winhlp32.exe" "winhlp32.exe.bak"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users