Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cant Enable "view Hidden Files And Folders"

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 acs1207

acs1207

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:58 AM

Posted 01 March 2008 - 09:55 AM

Even if I click on "view hidden files and folders" and then click "apply " and "ok" ,I cant see any of my hidden files.Is there any software that can rectify this? I have already tried "restore my computer to an earlier time" and it hasnt worked( maybe it is because I installed a Windows update-WindowsXP-KB926255-x86-ENU.exe).Can anybody please help?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 M...

M...

• Members
  • 386 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:58 AM

Posted 01 March 2008 - 10:09 AM

Hello acs1207,

Have you followed all the steps in the following article? For Windows XP, there are 4 items in the Folder Options View list that should be set as described in the article:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/how-to-see-hidden-files-in-windows/

#3 acs1207

acs1207
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:58 AM

Posted 01 March 2008 - 10:32 AM

hav unchecked "hide extension" , "hide protected OS files" , hav selected "display sys files and folders" and"hav checked display the contents of system folders" Clicked apply , then O.K. ,closed My Computer ,and when I open it again , "do not show hiddeen files and folders " is shown as selected !!

#4 M...

M...

• Members
  • 386 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:58 AM

Posted 01 March 2008 - 04:20 PM

All the references I've found to this problem of the "Show Hidden Files" settings reverting to their previous state, after you have seemingly successfully changed the settings, seem to indicate some form of virus/malware infection on your system. This behavior certainly isn't normal. The settings should "stick" (i.e., remain as you last set them) -- it doesn't matter whether you are logged on using an Administrator account or a Limited User account (I just tested it on a Limited User account).

The following threads/posts refer to Registry edits to correct the problem -- use the usual caution with those (i.e., backup the Registry first).

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...st&p=501419

Also:

http://techrepublic.com.com/5208-6230-0.ht...686&start=0

and:

http://techrepublic.com.com/5208-6230-0.ht...ssageID=2302408

#5 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:58 PM

Posted 01 March 2008 - 07:50 PM

Often this is caused by a worm. There is a tool available that can temporarily overcome this so that you can view hidden files. It is called remove restrictions tool. If you google it you will find several places to download it from. I have used it recenty and it worked great for me, but I can't say it will work great for you.

In my case, the worm created hidden files, and then did not allow me view hidden files. It also did not allow me to access the C: drive. When I clicked on the C: in My computer, I received a Dialog Box asking me what program did I want to use to open the C: drive. Do you have this issue also? I also found a way to overcome this issue.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users