Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Xp Still Available?

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 lilachamster

lilachamster

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:15 PM

Posted 01 March 2008 - 08:13 AM

I want to purchase a new computer, but I do not want Vista.

Is it still possible to buy a pc with XP installed? (I am in the UK)

I am also wondering for how long Microsoft will continue to issue critical updates for XP.
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

I used to think I was indecisive.... but now I'm not too sure

Some people come into our lives and quickly go. Others stay for a while and leave footprints on our hearts, and we are never, ever the same......

"Life can only be understood backwards, but it must be lived forwards." - Soren Kierkegaard

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:15 PM

Posted 01 March 2008 - 08:39 AM

Manufacturers are going back to offering XP on new computers, dell and others have listened to customers, laptops also.

Go online and look, this has changed drastically in the last few months, I am sure that it's quite embarassing and will not be publicized widely. Too many people are returning vista loaded computers. I am seeing mostly entry to mid level computers with XP, those are the one's that vista bogs down on.
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#3 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:03:15 PM

Posted 01 March 2008 - 10:01 AM

As an alternative, consider getting a custom built computer.
You can get whatever you want put on it, without all the pre-loaded junk that comes on an off the shelf system. I found that the price of a custom built system is about the same (and sometimes cheaper) than computers sold in stores.
Something to keep in mind-using the moniter, keyboard, and mouse you have now will keep the cost of the custom unit down. (obviously this is for a desktop system)
Before you go to a store, check around at some reputable computer shops.
Figure out what you want in the computer-graphics card, sound card, amount of memory, what size hard drive, operating system, etc-then ask how much.
Ask to see some of their systems-turn it on and look at it. Then you can make an informed desision concerning a new one.

#4 KoanYorel

KoanYorel

Bleepin' Conundrum

• Staff Emeritus
  • 19,461 posts
  •  
  • Location:65 miles due East of the "Logic Free Zone", in Md, USA

Posted 01 March 2008 - 10:32 AM

I also recommend a "custom build". You get exactly what you want, have a known entity to work with now and in the future too. (Find one within walking distance? - joke.)

I've had the same Pro-Tech helping me for more than 15 years. I'm able to help them a bit also.
They only disappointed me once, and then very quickly made it all right (at no extra charge either).
The only easy day was yesterday.

...some do, some don't; some will, some won't (WR)

#5 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2008 - 08:10 PM

XP Home is not going to be updated by MS much longer. I think it is just for a matter of days now.

XP Professional will have updates for the next 4 years.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#6 RknRusty

RknRusty

• Members
  • 396 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2008 - 02:02 AM

Days!? They're just going to leave us twisting in the wind huh. Is there an upgrade to go from home to pro? My XP Home computer is meticulously lean and clean, so hopefully an upgrade wouldn't be too glitchy.

#7 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2008 - 03:24 AM

all the patches or updates MS has released that I have seen are for both home and pro, there's really very little difference

pro can join a domain, home cannot
Chewy

#8 Platypus

Platypus

• 12,807 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:15 AM

Posted 02 March 2008 - 06:57 AM

The lifecycles of XP Home, MCE and Pro are all the same.

http://support.microsoft.com/lifecycle/sea...Filter=FilterNO

Mainstream support is retired 14th April 2009. For the duration of mainstream support updates will include security hotfixes and may include updates to address non-security issues of functionality.

Extended support is retired 8th April 2014. During extended support phase, MS provides security hotfixes but doesn't provide non security related software updates.

XP will be available to builders for a little while yet:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/lifecycle/default.mspx

Direct OEM and Retail License Availability end date: June 30 2008

System Builder License Availability (ie the big boys) end date: Jan 31 2009

Edited by Platypus, 02 March 2008 - 07:06 AM.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#9 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2008 - 07:17 AM

A year ago, when Vista was released, MS made an announcement that Home would be supported for one more year, and Pro would be supported for 5 more years. MS can and often does make changes to these plans.

Licences are perpetual.

MS has stated that they will eventually release an update that will remove the need for activation on XP, but I am sure this is some time (years?) down the road yet.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#10 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2008 - 09:04 AM

Direct OEM and Retail License Availability end date: June 30 2008

that's really going to help apple and any user friendly paid versions of linux and put a dent in MS sales
Chewy

#11 lilachamster

lilachamster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2008 - 07:07 AM

Manufacturers are going back to offering XP on new computers, dell and others have listened to customers, laptops also.

Go online and look, this has changed drastically in the last few months, I am sure that it's quite embarassing and will not be publicized widely. Too many people are returning vista loaded computers. I am seeing mostly entry to mid level computers with XP, those are the one's that vista bogs down on.

I have had a look, but the choice of computers with XP is limited. Dell have 1 desktop and 2 laptops with XP, but the cheapest of these is 899... rather more than I can afford to spend.

Some people come into our lives and quickly go. Others stay for a while and leave footprints on our hearts, and we are never, ever the same......

"Life can only be understood backwards, but it must be lived forwards." - Soren Kierkegaard

#12 lilachamster

lilachamster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2008 - 07:16 AM

As an alternative, consider getting a custom built computer.
You can get whatever you want put on it, without all the pre-loaded junk that comes on an off the shelf system. I found that the price of a custom built system is about the same (and sometimes cheaper) than computers sold in stores.
Something to keep in mind-using the moniter, keyboard, and mouse you have now will keep the cost of the custom unit down. (obviously this is for a desktop system)

That's a good point. I had been considering a laptop, but I'm not sure yet. If I decide on a desktop then I will get a custom built one. I don't need a package, I have a very good monitor etc. already.

#13 lilachamster

lilachamster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2008 - 07:26 AM

XP Home is not going to be updated by MS much longer. I think it is just for a matter of days now.

If this is the case, then maybe going for XP is not such a good idea. I haven't a clue what to do now :flowers:

Maybe I should reconsider Vista, but I definitely don't want it until SP1 has come out. The problem is I have big problems with my pc and I don't think it will hold out much longer.

Thanks to everyone who replied :thumbsup:

#14 thrillhouse

thrillhouse

• Members
  • 1,040 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2008 - 08:38 AM

I ordered my hp laptop direct from the company and they put xp on it and it was about $800. It's cool though, works great and has a fingerprint reader and a finger scroll on the mouse pad.

My dad had a laptop custom built that he bought a little before I bought mine and the performance specs are the same but his has a bigger screen and is lighter weight and he paid about the same for it.

Edited by thrillhouse, 16 March 2008 - 08:39 AM.

#15 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,071 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:15 PM

Posted 16 March 2008 - 03:26 PM

I just purchased a Lenovo direct from Lenovo and they offered an option for XP

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )
**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message.

My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)
FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.

If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.
If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users