Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Router Configuration

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 jahid91

jahid91

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:10 AM

Posted 01 March 2008 - 08:10 AM

hi there i got a new wireless internet connection which uses a router and a ethernet cable. i seted up ma internet by following the instruction which was on the tiscali insatllation CD. i am worried that other people can use my internet as i have wireless connection. so how do i make sure that my wireless connection is secure. how do i configure my router, i got a speedtouch(tomson) router. my teacher told me that i should go to the command prompt and type ipconfig /all which will give me detail about my router. he also said that i should copy the default gateway for the router and copy it to the address bar of the internet and configure the router i dont know how to do it. could you please help.
how will i know that my wireless internernet connection is safe from other people?

thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:10 PM

Posted 01 March 2008 - 09:11 AM

Getting details about your router won't really help you. Most routers have a web interface that you can access. In fact, the guide that came with the router will tell you exactly how to do that, as well as tell you exactly how to secure your wireless. Did you check there yet?

#3 Cyb3r_Ninj@

Cyb3r_Ninj@

• Members
  • 169 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:10 PM

Posted 01 March 2008 - 06:28 PM

First of all, your teacher was right. Here's what you will want to do:

Go back and open up your command prompt, also, open a web browser window (IE, FireFox, whatever). Type the following into the Command Prompt:

ipconfig /all

You want to pay attention to the following information (the more you get to know these numbers and how they interrelate, the easier it will be to troubleshoot network problems):

1- IP Address
2- Subnet Mask
3- Default Gateway
4- DHCP Server
5- DNS Servers

Specifically, your Default Gateway is the router or machine that is physically connected to the internet via transmission media (the cable connecting router to the wall jack or to modem which is connected to the wall). The IP address of the Default Gateway should have web interface which operates over HTTP to allow administrators to mange the equipment from any network-connected PC.

Take your Default Gateway's listed IP address and plug that into your browser's address bar in the form:

http://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

For example, if you were attempting to access the web Administrative interface for a Linksys router your Default Gateway would probably be 192.168.1.1, so to reach the Administrative web interface you type into your browser:

http://192.168.1.1

Hit enter and you should receive a secondary logon prompt to access this interface. From within the web administrative interface you will be able to configure the firewall settings, change the administrative password, create a WEP key. You probably want to ensure that the Firewall is Enabled, change your Administrator password from the default, and create a WEP key (if one was not provided by your ISP). You'll want to consult any documentation to determine which settings in the firewall and security settings which are appropriate for your security needs. You should be able to find the administrative manual for your hardware on the manufacturer's website.

If you open up your Network Connections folder, you can determine if your Wireless Network Connection has security enabled.

Start >> Connect to >> Show All Connections >> right-click Wireless Network Connection >> View Available Wireless Networks

When the Wireless Network Connection available network listing appears, look for your network among the list and you should see a padlock icon and also state "Security-enabled wireless network." If the padlock icon is not present, you should revisit your router's Administrative interface and configure the firewall and security settings appropriately.

Edited by Cyb3r_Ninj@, 01 March 2008 - 06:39 PM.

Bill Gates recognizes the skills... so i suggest you start there and recognize them too...
:: digital.ronin ::

| MCP - ID 5646435, other certifications pending... |

#4 jahid91

jahid91
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2008 - 06:46 AM

when i paste the default gateway IP to the address bar of the browser it doesnt asks me for any password to login, as soon as i paste the router defaults gateway IP address it automatically log me in and i try to change the administrator password but it asks me to enter my old password how would i know my old password? is it the user login password that i supposed to use. + when i try to change the WEP Key for the router it doesnt let me change it to anything, it has to include decimal, hexadecimal, binary etc. how could you help mewith that?

#5 Cyb3r_Ninj@

Cyb3r_Ninj@

• Members
  • 169 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2008 - 03:04 PM

OK so the fact that your Default Gateway IP address takes you directly to your Router's Web Interface without prompting for a username | password combination means that the Web Interface is for sure not secured. You want to change this ASAP; anyone in range that jumps on to your network can plug in the Default Gateway address into the browser and mess with your Router's configuration settings.

If you need to know your specific hardware's default administrative username and password, you probably want to consult the manufacturer' website and download the Administrative or User Manual, it should be listed within the pages of this manual and there is probably a disclaimer which instructs the user to change this information for security purposes. Download this so you have a soft copy of the information stored on your local computer for future reference if needed.

You can also google for the your manufacturer's make / model number or for a listing of popular makes and models:
http://www.irintech.com/x1/blogarchive.php?id=764

Here is a sample google search query for this type of information - remember this is available to everyone on the Internet, being common knowledge you want to get the administrative information secured ASAP.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=d...r+known+routers

When you want to change the password, you probably want to try the default password, as this is still probably configured. You will need to enter the OLD password (most likely the default still) and then you will probably have to enter the NEW password twice to confirm. Consult the links above to figure out the default password for your make / model hardware - sometimes your ISP will provide this information for you. You will want to secure your Router's (or WiFi AP's) Web Interface first, get yourself secured here so that anyone that is AP scanning can't get in and lock you out of your own Router. Then focus on getting your WEP encryption key setup. The WEP key is usually provided to you by the ISP, but you can change it later. If you are using equipment that is provided by your Internet Service Provider, you can contact them for assistance in setting up your WEP encryption. Sometimes the details and defaults differ based on the Service Provider's internal processes and procedures.
Bill Gates recognizes the skills... so i suggest you start there and recognize them too...

#6 jahid91

jahid91
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2008 - 05:04 PM

thanks for the help i have exactly followed your instruction, i found the default password for the router and imported my new password for the administrator however as soon as i input the new password and when i clicked apply a new window appeared and says "please type the use name and password that you use for speedtouch" but i dont know the password and the username. im kind of confused. which user name and password do i use? thanks for your help.

#7 Cyb3r_Ninj@

Cyb3r_Ninj@

• Members
  • 169 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2008 - 06:34 PM

OK i think what you need to do in order to change the administrative password, you must enter the default username and password that are provided from the factory.

So whatever the default administrator username and password are, enter those in at that next prompt after you are attempting to change the new default password. NOTE: you may not be able to change the administrator username, so you will continue to use that, but your password will be updated to whatever you want to apply the changes to use.

#8 jahid91

jahid91
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2008 - 07:13 AM

ok now i think now im a bit safe from other people because i have noticed that whenever i copy the default gateway for the router on the address bar of the browser it asks me for the username and the password. i think this is very good as other people wont be able to get into my routers and change the setting. anyway thanks for all your help guys i appeciate it.

#9 jahid91

jahid91
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2008 - 07:31 AM

i for got to ask a question about the web interface. when im on the web interface on the top left hand side if i go to home network > devices it should show the devices that are connected to my LAN. i see an unknown device on under the device name but i only use one pc for my LAN and shows that it using two ethernet rj45 wire, i dont get it on my router im using only one ethernet interface but why does it show on the web interface that im using two ethernet wires. it says that the device is unkown im thinking is anyone was using my connection or anything. what do you think it could be ?

#10 Cyb3r_Ninj@

Cyb3r_Ninj@

• Members
  • 169 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2008 - 11:45 AM

Do you happen to have DSL modem that connects via RJ-45 port to your router?

Generic diagram:

[Wall outlet] --{RJ-22/RJ-45 splitter}-- [DSL Modem] --{RJ-45 cable}-- [Router] --{RJ-45 cable}-- [PC]

Its possible that the DSL modem is registering in the Web interface of your Router as an "unknown device". Since there is usually RJ-45 interconnectivity between a DSL modem and a Hub / Concentrator / or Router, its possible that this connection in addition to any connected PCs are being recognized.

If that doesn't appear to be the case, try a refresh on the Web interface a few times and monitor it for a few minutes to see if the unknown device remains online or disappears, may be a glitch or false positive.

You could also try checking to find out what computers are on your network by issuing the following command at the Command Prompt:

net view

This should give you a listing of all connected devices which appear in your local area network. If you see any device which shows up and you do not recognize the computer name or suspect someone eavesdropping into your network, ping them to find out their IP address and record the information. Gather as much information about their computername, IP address, run the arp -a command to get their MAC address.

There may be a method in the Web interface where you can use this information to deny this computer from connecting. There should be a method to allow / deny connectivity by computer name or device name or IP address.

#11 Wassim

Wassim

• Members
  • 376 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:10 AM

Posted 05 March 2008 - 04:22 PM

i think this is very good as other people wont be able to get into my routers and change the setting.

but i think people can still connect to your Wireless network and gain internet access if you didn't set a password for the WLAN.
"Stuffy Hall Admin of the Typing Skills Enhancing School Program"

#12 jahid91

jahid91
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2008 - 12:03 PM

and hw would i change the password for the WLAN ?

#13 jahid91

jahid91
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2008 - 12:23 PM

the router i use it only uses two wires 1 is ethernet and the other 1 is internet wire( its a grey wire). well first of all the the ethernet wire connect to back of the computer and the other end to the router, then anohther internet wire which goes from the router to one of the DSL filter and on the same filter i have a telephone line attached and then the filter connects the main socket. thats how i connect to the internet.

#14 Wassim

Wassim

• Members
  • 376 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:10 AM

Posted 06 March 2008 - 03:26 PM

i didnt catch what brand your router is, but in My Linksys wireless router i go to the setup page and under the tab Wireless Security i can set the security mode (WEP, WAP...) and the passphrase.
"Stuffy Hall Admin of the Typing Skills Enhancing School Program"

#15 jahid91

jahid91
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2008 - 03:36 PM

if i try to change the WEP key then it doesnt let me change it to anything it wants me to include ASCII, Hexadecimal.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users