Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Vitalsecurity.org resigns from ASAP...

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 paperghost

paperghost

• Members
  • 156 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:18 AM

Posted 14 March 2005 - 12:35 PM

A formal announcement that, as of this moment, I formally resign my site from ASAP and I also resign from ASAP as a member.

Spywareinfo.com chose to absolutely slaughter my website without apparently bothering to check the facts first, and has caused me a huge amount of grief in doing so.

Despite posting about this on the Spywareinfo forum and also addressing this in the Admin section of this site, no reply was forthcoming.

The newsletter was eventually pulled for a short while, only to come back with the following addition:

Update

It has come to my attention that several people have sent hate mail to the authors of the articles linked below. Don't do that. That is foolish. If you are going to disagree with the writer(s), do it politely. Save the hate mail for people who write spam and spyware.

Absolutely unbelievable, not acceptable and a total disgrace.

Since when did ASAP allow member sites to attack each other in such a fashion?

My site was accused of "libelous" remarks, when in actual fact the only libel appears to be coming from Spywareinfo.com.

I cannot allow my site to be totally dragged through the mud unchecked, and be expected to pretend nothing has happened. And I certainly cannot keep my site on the same listing as the site that caused this mess.

If you'd like more information on this - the original article:

http://www.vitalsecurity.org/2005/03/firef...infects-ie.html

The newsletter:

http://www.spywareinfo.com/newsletter/arch.../2005/mar13.php

The forum entry at Spywareinfo:

http://forums.spywareinfo.com/index.php?showtopic=43194

My response on Vitalsecurity:

http://www.vitalsecurity.org/2005/03/spywa...alsecurity.html

I'm still waiting for some response, though at present nothing is forthcoming. I waited over a whole day for a reply - more than adequete for someone to get back to me. If I'm expected to simply lie down and die over this, you're very much mistaken and I'm considering taking this further.

Outrageous.

As of this moment, I am no longer a member of ASAP and will remain so until I recieve a proper apology, or Spywareinfo.com is removed from ASAP. And as neither of those is likely to happen, I will happily remain a voice in the wilderness.

Paperghost

Vitalsecurity.org

http://forums.maddoktor2.com/index.php?showtopic=3428

Edited by paperghost, 14 March 2005 - 12:35 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:18 AM

Posted 14 March 2005 - 03:22 PM

Voices concerned about matters effecting users online regarding security certainly are heard from a variety of sources, paperghost. It is appropriate that people are aware of this fact. While I am dismayed to become aware of dissention "within the ranks", it does not change the focus on raising the level of understanding in matters that impact us as we attempt to enjoy the vast resources that hard work has made available to us. Hard work is also evidenced in the work to continue making the valuable resource safe to use, and your part in that is should not be under-mined.

Once again, I hope the matter at hand is resolved.
It is puzzling what motivates the actions you have documented.

Edited by phawgg, 14 March 2005 - 03:23 PM.

patiently patrolling, plenty of persisant pests n' problems ...

#3 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2005 - 07:28 PM

To put this simply. Although you have been slandered and offended by some of your peers. This may or may not make you feel better. I always consider the source. There is a reason behind every action.

Jealousy, mis-understanding, fear, competitiveness etc.

I hope like hell that you are given a suitable apology. Which you so deserve. An apology befitting the respect that you have earned in the tech community.
If not well then, that dear paperghost would speak volumes indeed.

No matter what comes out of all of this. I'll leave you with this thought.

Rise above the cream.
Posted Image

#4 paperghost

paperghost
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 156 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2005 - 05:10 PM

In the spirit of Maddoktor's last few posts here:

http://forums.maddoktor2.com/index.php?showtopic=3428

I would like to state that I am willing to work with him on this and avoid the need for legal interference, which is not a road I would wish to go down if at all possible.

Though a very real eventuality, I do not feel two antispyware sites should be seen to go to court over something that could (still) be salvaged and give the makers of spyware and malware a field day.

In that spirit, I have rescinded my resignation, apologise fully for any distress caused to members and visitors of ASAP sites and look to work with Mike on resolving this one way or another. As Maddoktor has said - we can fix this.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users