Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Avast! 4.8 Beta!

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Teenage.Zombiee

Teenage.Zombiee

• Members
  • 831 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:49 AM

Posted 01 March 2008 - 02:20 AM

I was looking around at geek U and found out about this. So I decided to share the glory at Bleeping Computer :thumbsup:

4.8 is quite an important update for us.

It contains the following major improvements:

- a built-in antirootkit module

- a built-in self-defense module

- starting with v4.8, avast is now officially an antispyware application, too (CheckMark certified).

Plus there's a number of not-so-big new features, such as the ability to track scan progress and a large number of improvements in both the scanning engine and other components (such as the boot-time scanner, and the updater).

BTW This first beta build will be followed by another one (most likely in about a week). This is because it still doesn't contain some of the anti-rootkit functionality (so far, boot-time scan can be used to detect/remove rootkits; in the next beta, the GUI scanners will also feature antirootkit capabilities).

Also, in this first version, we're still aware of some methods to bypass the self-defense module, and these are being worked on continuously. This especially applies to the ashDisp.exe process which is somewhat harder to protect than the rest (i.e. the avast services) as it shares the user's logon session and is thus more easily attackable.

Like I said its still in beta but I must say, this is impressive and I think I'm going to try the beta.

But I'd like to ask, has anyone else taken the plunge yet?
I think when this is a stable release its going to be a real hit. And certainly will give AVG a run for its money. :flowers:
Would like to know more. Check out this topic at the Avast! forum * Intorducing* - beta version of Avast Home/Pro v 4.8

Teenage.Zombiee is back ! :halloween:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users