Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PDA Information

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 LoLucky

LoLucky

• Members
  • 331 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:13 PM

Posted 14 March 2005 - 12:20 PM

First off i don't know if this is the board i should be posting this.

K My boss comes up to me last week asking me to research PDA's for the Construction part of my Company. they will need to have E-Mail Capability, Word Capability and Spreadsheet Capability they will all be a random locations and need to be able to E-Mail the Corporate Office without the use of a computer/laptop

After researching i find myself at a complete loss of knowledge.

Bluetooth is? short-range wireless communication -- Huh? does this allow me to be 100's of miles away and get my e-mail?

How do these things connect to get e-mail
Do you have to have a special Internet Service Provider?
Can we provide Internet access to these?
Do these things actually run on just 16 MB??
Any Information that i should know about security?
Are these like Cell phones where you get a carrier then you have like a certain amount of minutes/hours a month. is there local/long distance/out of coverage areas?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,640 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:13 PM

Posted 14 March 2005 - 02:03 PM

I moved this into the appropriate category. Bluetooth wont help as that is as you said used for short range like syncing pdas to laptops or wireless headsets. You will need to subscribe to a wireless internet service to use your pda on the internet. Then you can configure outlook to get your mail as usual if you use a pocketpc variant.

Your company personally will not be able to provide internet access, but the wireless provider you sign up with will.

As for security I am pretty sure they use some sort of encryption on alot of these, but it depends on the provider. As for the memory, yup they run on 16 megs, but you can always increase them with flash cards.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users