Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Using System Ram To Augment Video Ram

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,259 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:34 AM

Posted 29 February 2008 - 11:15 PM

Here's a question for you hardware folks:

Is it possible to use my system memory to augment my video card's memory.

Currently, I have 2GB of RAM and an ATI Radeon x300 video card with 128MB or RAM. The video card is NOT integrated, and it uses the PCI-e bus.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 smurfgod

smurfgod

• Members
  • 446 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:34 AM

Posted 01 March 2008 - 10:23 AM

like dedicating part of your system RAM to video?
I'm pretty sure that it does that on its own, well i do know that adding RAM boosted my FPS in video games considerably

Edited by smurfgod, 01 March 2008 - 10:24 AM.

#3 acs1207

acs1207

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2008 - 11:22 AM

some motherboards support dedicating video memory from RAM. I hav 1GB RAM and I hav allotted 128 MB for video.Not sure whether it will help in ur situation- I hav no video card.You have to go to setup while booting(I think F8 is the key).But dont try this if u dont understand what u r doing...!!Somebody more experienced pls giv a detailed reply :thumbsup:

#4 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2008 - 11:37 AM

I don't believe that every video card supports shared video memory. I've seen x300's that have though. The best way to do it is look through your bios options.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#5 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:34 AM

Posted 01 March 2008 - 01:42 PM

The hallmark technology of the Radeon X300 SE is its HyperMemory RAM. Despite its fast-sounding name, HyperMemory is actually a significant bottleneck in the card's performance. The card boasts just 32MB of dedicated RAM, and it accesses a chunk of your PC's main memory over the PCI Express (PCIe) bus to effect a full 128MB frame buffer. While this technique has real economic benefits, it results in performance that fails to match that of cards with a full complement of dedicated onboard memory. And because of the drain on your system memory, we wouldn't recommend installing it in a PC that has less than 512MB of system memory to ensure smooth operation of regular Windows applications, let alone games.

this model shares system ram but only 128 total, not good for vista

time for a better card
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#6 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• Topic Starter

• 8,259 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:34 AM

Posted 01 March 2008 - 08:53 PM

Indeed, I need a better card!

But I'm not worried about Vista. I use Linux primarily and XP for certain games and such. My question arose because I want to run Unreal Tournament 3. Scratch that; I need to run Unreal Tournament 3 otherwise my head will explode and my nether regions will shrivel and die!

#7 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:34 AM

Posted 01 March 2008 - 09:02 PM

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList....=%2475+-+%24100

man can't serve two masters, stay off the internet with windows and turn off avast
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users