Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Program Won't Uninstall

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 dominose

dominose

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:34 PM

Posted 29 February 2008 - 11:10 PM

I used to have Windows XP, which had Toshiba Media Center. So I upgraded to Vista, which doesn't have a Toshiba Media Center. But now, there's a program called Toshiba Media Center Game Console listed in the Programs and Features list in Control Panel. This program I'm sure used the Toshiba Media Center.
When I try to uninstall the TMCGC I get an error message - "The feature you are trying to use is on a network resource that is unavailable". It suggests I "enter an alternate path to a folder containing the installation package 'mce_console_toshiba.msi' ".
This program was published by WildTangent. There's some WildTangent stuff still on my computer, so it wasn't really uninstalled. Just apparently partly deleted during the upgrade process. It seems like what happened is that the old Toshiba Media Center was deleted and somehow part of the Toshiba Media Center Game Console got zapped.
How can I fix it?
Laura

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dominose

dominose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2008 - 08:23 AM

ps There doesn't seem to be anything called a "Toshiba Media Center Game Console" around. So when I open Programs and Features and I see "Toshiba Media Center Game Console" in the list of installed programs, I don't know what it's pointing at.

There are a few folders called WildTangent (the publisher of TMCGC) on my computer, in the Program Files and Program Data directories. But there isn't any folder that's related to TMCGC in the C: directory.
When I try to uninstall the TMCGC I get an error message "The installation source for this product is not available".

I guess I should just move the WildTangent folders to the recycle bin and see if it disappears from the Programs and Features list.

Laura

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2008 - 09:05 AM

A "trick" to uninstall apps like this is to TEMPORARILY disable UAC, remove the app, then re-enable UAC.
Doesn't always work, but it may be worth a try.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 dominose

dominose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2008 - 02:07 PM

Sigh. I deleted all the WildTangent folders - the publisher of the Toshiba Media Center Game Console, then rebooted my computer, then went to the Programs and Features list, I tried to uninstall the TMCGC, and I got the same error messages.
First, it says "The feature you are trying to use is on a network resource that is unavailable". Then when I click Cancel, it says "The installation source for this product is not available".

There doesn't seem to be anything called a Toshiba Media Center Game Console on the system, so I don't know why it's in the Programs and Features list. The icon for it in the Programs and Features list is just a simple rectangle, which seems to indicate that the Control Panel has a list of programs internally and it can't find this one.

But one other program in that list that was left over from the upgrade, I tried to uninstall and the uninstaller said it wasn't there and removed the program.

How can I get rid of this ghost icon, then, since I've *probably* taken all the WildTangent stuff off the computer?

Laura

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2008 - 07:07 PM

Since you've taken most of the stuff out manually, it's likely that any uninstall routine that's present won't work due to the missing components.

You can remove the entry from here: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall - but I've never done this in Vista so I don't know the consequences. If you try it, backup your registry first!
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users