Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

.net Framework Problem

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 simonrjnash

simonrjnash

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:31 PM

Posted 29 February 2008 - 06:23 PM

i'm running xp home and recently my Zune software has been failing to load recently and crashes when you double click on it, i have read that repairing the .Net Framework would fix the problem, when i try to install a .Net Framework file to install, repair or uninstall it crashes and says the program needs to close, if my .Net Framework is damaged what can i do to repair it? or what it the problem with it? thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,865 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:31 PM

Posted 29 February 2008 - 07:46 PM

Uninstall it completely...reinstall the same or a different version.

There are at least 3/4 versions that I'm aware...maybe you are installing an outdated version for an app that needs a later version.

Louis

#3 simonrjnash

simonrjnash
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2008 - 05:33 AM

how do i uninstall all net frameworks? whenever i attempt to install net framework 2/3/3.5 they just crash so i cant do anything with them, i dont understand why my Zune software crashes when u try to start it ?

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,865 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2008 - 10:49 AM

I can't respond to anything about Zune...but if MS.NET crashes upon install, that is not normal.

I've had different versions installed at once with no problem installing and no problems afterward.

If Event Viewer offers you no clues, I could only guess...and the possibilities are too many for that, based on the data you have provided.

Louis

#5 simonrjnash

simonrjnash
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2008 - 08:12 AM

if i cant figure out the problem, would clean installing xp sort the problem out, also my laptop came without a boot disc or an xp install disc as xp was already installed, is there a way that i can create a disc so i can clean install xp or repair it????

Edited by simonrjnash, 02 March 2008 - 08:13 AM.

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:31 PM

Posted 02 March 2008 - 08:14 AM

A clean install will certainly fix most software issues. What's the make and model of your computer? That'll help us to determine how to access the restore function.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 simonrjnash

simonrjnash
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2008 - 08:27 AM

Advent 7109 with Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005

Edited by simonrjnash, 02 March 2008 - 08:55 AM.

#8 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:31 PM

Posted 02 March 2008 - 09:10 AM

Here's a link on how to restore your system: http://www.uktsupport.co.uk/advent/laptop/7109.htm
Scroll about 1/2 way down the page and start reading where it says "Using the HDD Recovery System"
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,865 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2008 - 09:11 AM

Hmm...Advent 7109s appear to be made by Uniwill/ECS...but that trail seems rather undocumented for support.

http://www.uniwill.com/

http://www.w00tw00t.co.uk/support/viewtopi...=a&start=30

Louis

#10 simonrjnash

simonrjnash
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2008 - 01:26 PM

since restarting i can no long shut down the laptop i have to hold the power button, and windows update no longer works ? any thoughts?

#11 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,865 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2008 - 03:56 PM

Yes.

I noticed a number of problems with these Advent laptops that are documented.

How old is this laptop?

I'm still waiting to see how MS.Net figures in all this, since that was the subject of your initial post. The only picture that I have right now is that of a laptop that is relatively old...with questionable documentation and support...that has issues extending beyond the scope of the original post.

Any system which does not function appropriately after a clean install...has issues that are probably beyond the scope of ordinary cures...on a laptop. That's my opinion (I don't like laptops because of the lack of options for troubleshooting).

Louis

#12 simonrjnash

simonrjnash
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2008 - 06:09 PM

the laptop is about a year old and is running windows xp media center edition 2005, the laptop is totally legitimate and so is windows running on it, the laptop was running perfectly and very fast but then recently it seemed to slow abit and be buggy. its not a virus of any sort as numorus deep scans havn't thrown up anything, i am only using about 20GB out of a 50GB hardrive so its not a memory problem. i did have windows vista transformation pack installed but uninstalled it soon after, didnt like it, dont know if that had a affect on the system internally? i did not clean installed instead just used xp the repair itself and return everything it defult whilst retaining my files and folders. if i clean installed i would have lost everything including windows xp media center edition 2005 of which i do not have a disc for so i would have been in no-mans land in terms of not having a opertaing system, hope that helps abit.

#13 simonrjnash

simonrjnash
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2008 - 04:05 AM

i sorted the problem out, i used the microsoft tool that allows you to remove all windows updates, aftering doing this any programs that needed net. framework to work would not work, but i then used windows update again and installed everysingle update again, so that they were fresh installed, then installed each program again, and now my laptop works perfectly, i think the netframework was just corrupt and it was easier removing all of them and starting again.

Edited by simonrjnash, 06 March 2008 - 10:39 AM.

#14 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,865 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2008 - 08:53 AM

Well done :flowers: and I think your file corruption premise seems valid.

Happy computing :thumbsup:.

Thanks for sharing your solution.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users