Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No Sound Until Unplug And Replug Speaker Jack

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 briandinday

briandinday

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:43 AM

Posted 29 February 2008 - 05:49 PM

I have a Dell Vostro 200 with integrated sound circuitry. I run Windows XP and use Firefox for browsing, but I get the same problem with CD or DVD sound. All system diagnostics and "Hardware" profiles show no problem, but I get no sound out of the speakers. That is: not until I unplug the sound jack from the computer and then replug it in. Then the sound immediately works. But the very next time I boot up the computer, it's same problem, and again remedied in same way.

Anyone know what is happening here?

Brian Dinday

Edited by briandinday, 29 February 2008 - 05:50 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,034 posts
  •  

Posted 29 February 2008 - 05:52 PM

Sounds like a faulty jack. Is there a headphone jack you could try instead of the line out?

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#3 briandinday

briandinday
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 29 February 2008 - 06:20 PM

Sneakcyber:

I guess you were right. I tried plugging the speaker jack into the headphone jack and sure enough the speakers work every time. Great. This is a new computer too, but I know better than to tackle Dell on an issue like this. they'll make me spend $1000 worth of time on a $450 computer issue. Guess I'm screwed. Thanks anyway.

Brian

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:43 AM

Posted 29 February 2008 - 06:29 PM

A reinstall of the sound driver wouldn't hurt
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users