Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Lots Of --------- In Ie7 And Firefox

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Maya01

Maya01

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:36 AM

Posted 29 February 2008 - 02:57 PM

Hi, my daughterīs computer has a problem and everytime we open IE7 or Firefox something types in lots of --------- (dashes) - som-e---------times when we start typing and sometimes before we get a chance. Itīs doing it now as you can see where Iīve written "something"

Running Windows XP Pro with SP2

Homepage set to Google when connecting through IE7 or Firefox.

New PC only purchased at Christmas. I donīt know anything about itīs make or hard drive, etc so canīt give any further information about it but it was brand new.

Iīve tried turning off system restore. Weīve run AVG, Spybot, Spyware Doctor, Trend Micro Housecall, Windows Defender and Superanti spyware and although some cookies were found and deleted there was nothing else but the problem is still happening although at the moment it seems to be letting me type without interuptions, except the 2 incidents above.

Iīve also tried starting in SafeMode by pressing F8 but it doesnīt happen - Iīve tried several times now but it still starts up as normal. Is there an alternative to F8?

Has anyone any idea what the ------------------------------------dashes problem could be and how to solve it? Any help would be greatly appreciated.- -(spoke to soon on it letting me type uninterupted - all the dashes in this message were caused by something and not typed in.

Many thanks
Maya

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,561 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:36 PM

Posted 29 February 2008 - 04:48 PM

Seems like a software or keyboard problem. I' m moving you to XP forum for a look and we'll go from there.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 jhsmurray

jhsmurray

• Members
  • 383 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:36 PM

Posted 29 February 2008 - 05:18 PM

Assuming you have a PC with a keyboard, and not a laptop, try shaking out any debris from the keyboard and make sure the cord is securely connected to the PC.

There are a couple of other things you might try to see if its possibly related to something else:
1. Click Start -> run and type notepad in the textbox and hit enter.
Try typing now - any problems there?
2. Reboot your comp into "safe mode" using an alternative method (apart from the F8 method) and try notepad there:
Click Start -> run and type msconfig in the textbox. Then...[quote name='"http://www.pchell.com/support/safemode.shtml"']# The System Configuration Utility appears, On the BOOT.INI tab, Check the "/SAFEBOOT" option, and then click OK and Restart your computer when prompted.
# The computer restarts in Safe mode.
# Perform the troubleshooting steps for which you are using Safe Mode.
When you are finished with troubleshooting in Safe mode, open MSCONFIG again, on the BOOT.INI tab, uncheck "/SAFEBOOT" and click OK to restart your computer[/quote]Any luck yet?

If you are still experiencing problems in both of the tests above, consider reinstalling the drivers for the keyboard (its not all that complicated; we can cover this when the time comes).

Since your computer is new, you should also have your warranty information, receipts, etc. on hand, in case you need to have something repaired/returned by the manufacturer. (Of course if it was a gift from someone else, consider trying all of the steps above before asking for the receipt ;) )

Edited by jhsmurray, 29 February 2008 - 05:21 PM.

Acer Aspire 5732z
Processor: Intel Pentium III Xeon, 2200 MHz
RAM: 3 GB
Display: Mobile Intel GMA 4500M

#4 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 29 February 2008 - 05:44 PM

Is it possible that the key is stuck? After you shake out any debris, if the problem continues:

Take a small flathead screwdriver or something similar, put it under the key, and GENTLY lift up the key. The caps can be removed from the keyboard, so you might want to take the cap off and make sure there is nothing sticky under it if the issue continues.

edited to delete bad info.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 29 February 2008 - 06:05 PM.

#5 jhsmurray

jhsmurray

• Members
  • 383 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:36 PM

Posted 02 March 2008 - 06:40 AM

I donīt know anything about itīs make or hard drive

In case you want to be able to find this out, here's one way:
From a command prompt (that is, click Start -> run, type cmd in the textbox and hit enter) type systeminfo and hit enter.
Look for the following entries:System Manufacturer
System Model

Other entries that may prove helpful:Boot Device
Total Physical Memory
Available Physical Memory

For the hard drive, bring up Explorer (not Internet Explorer, thats something different) by holding down the Windows key and tapping E. Your hard drive is probably the one listed as C:\. Right-click on your hard drive and select properties. That should provide you with the model, total space and available space on the drive. Note that your computer may have more that one hard drive listed, but in most cases store bought PC's feature only one hard drive.

Acer Aspire 5732z
Processor: Intel Pentium III Xeon, 2200 MHz
RAM: 3 GB
Display: Mobile Intel GMA 4500M

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,551 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:36 PM

Posted 02 March 2008 - 08:51 AM

<<I donīt know anything about itīs make or hard drive, etc so canīt give any further information about it but it was brand new.>>

A tool which can remedy that, SIW System Information for Windows - http://www.gtopala.com/

Louis

#7 Maya01

Maya01
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2008 - 12:29 PM

Hi, Thank you all for your replies. We'd already tried seeing if there was a problem with a key on the keyboard and also reinstalling the drivers and neither made any difference at all. I should add that it's a brand new Logitech cordless keyboard and mouse.

As it only happens periodically we came to the conclusion it must be some sort of virus. Another reason we thought that it may be a virus is because after installing Firefox my daughter could use that without any problems with the dashes. However, my husband used her PC and opened Internet Explorer and immediately the problem started again and now it's doing the same in Firefox, MSN, Skype and Microsfot Word.

I did manage to restart in SafeMode and ran all the antivirus, Spybot and Spyware Doctor but they didn't find anything.

The computer is now doing dashes virtually everytime we open anything that can be typed into and I haven't been able to type in the suggestion above. I can't even get the N of Notepad typed in before the dashes start!

The computer is a desktop with a brand new Viewsonic LCD monitor but I can't find its make/model because I can't type anything in when I open the Start, Run menu.

I should add that I'm not using the PC to type this reply, I'm using my laptop.

Any other suggestions will be most welcome?

#8 Maya01

Maya01
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2008 - 12:33 PM

One more thing that we've only just noticed and I'm not sure if its new or if we didn't notice because the speakers were turned off before but when I right click any item on the desktop it makes a continuous noise. I only noticed when emptying the recycle bin and then tried right clicking other icons and got the same continuous noise. It doesn't happen when I left click any icons.

#9 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,561 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2008 - 12:39 PM

Hello for the sake of arguement, please run this malware scan ,from safe Mode and post back the log.

Download and scan with SUPERAntiSpyware Free for Home Users
  • Double-click SUPERAntiSpyware.exe and use the default settings for installation.
  • An icon will be created on your desktop. Double-click that icon to launch the program.
  • If asked to update the program definitions, click "Yes". If not, update the definitions before scanning by selecting "Check for Updates". (If you encounter any problems while downloading the updates, manually download and unzip them from here.)
  • Under "Configuration and Preferences", click the Preferences button.
  • Click the Scanning Control tab.
  • Under Scanner Options make sure the following are checked (leave all others unchecked):
    • Close browsers before scanning.
    • Scan for tracking cookies.
    • Terminate memory threats before quarantining.
  • Click the "Close" button to leave the control center screen.

Reboot into safe mode here
  • Back on the main screen, under "Scan for Harmful Software" click Scan your computer.
  • On the left, make sure you check C:\Fixed Drive.
  • On the right, under "Complete Scan", choose Perform Complete Scan.
  • Click "Next" to start the scan. Please be patient while it scans your computer.
  • After the scan is complete, a Scan Summary box will appear with potentially harmful items that were detected. Click "OK".
  • Make sure everything has a checkmark next to it and click "Next".
  • A notification will appear that "Quarantine and Removal is Complete". Click "OK" and then click the "Finish" button to return to the main menu.
  • If asked if you want to reboot, click "Yes".
  • To retrieve the removal information after reboot, launch SUPERAntispyware again.
    • Click Preferences, then click the Statistics/Logs tab.
    • Under Scanner Logs, double-click SUPERAntiSpyware Scan Log.
    • If there are several logs, click the current dated log and press View log. A text file will open in your default text editor.
    • Please copy and paste the Scan Log results in your next reply.
  • Click Close to exit the program.

How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#10 Maya01

Maya01
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2008 - 02:08 PM

Hi, the logs are below but I -couldnīt use safemode. The first time I ran Superantispyware in safemode the computer shut down part way through the scan and then I tried twice to start in safe mode but it kept shutting down as soon as I clicked to log on to windows. -I restarted in normal mode and there werenīt any problems and the scan ran with the following results.

I should add that when Internet Explorer is opened another browser window opens with an ad in it. It doesnīt happen when I open Firefox which is what Iīm using now. As previously mentioned, the dashes didnīt happen in -Firefox, only IE, but now theyīve started in Firefox too which is why this message has a few dashes where they shouldnīt be.

I also managed to get the system information up and it says manufacturer GBT____ and model GBTUACPI, just incase that makes any difference. -

SUPERAntiSpyware Scan Log
http://www.superantispyware.com

Generated 03/10/2008 at 07:57 PM

Application Version : 4.0.1154

Core Rules Database Version : 3416
Trace Rules Database Version: 1408

Scan type : Complete Scan
Total Scan Time : 00:24:11

Memory items scanned : 610
Memory threats detected : 0
Registry items scanned : 5115
Registry threats detected : 0
File items scanned : 46973
File threats detected : 8

Adware.Tracking Cookie
C:\Documents and Settings\Caliana\Cookies\caliana@ads.pointroll[2].txt
C:\Documents and Settings\Caliana\Cookies\caliana@adtech[1].txt
C:\Documents and Settings\Caliana\Cookies\caliana@2o7[1].txt
C:\Documents and Settings\Caliana\Cookies\caliana@msnportal.112.2o7[1].txt
C:\Documents and Settings\Caliana\Cookies\caliana@questionmarket[1].txt
C:\Documents and Settings\Caliana\Cookies\caliana@tribalfusion[1].txt
C:\Documents and Settings\Caliana\Cookies\caliana@serving-sys[1].txt
C:\Documents and Settings\Caliana\Cookies\caliana@bs.serving-sys[2].txt

Edited by Maya01, 10 March 2008 - 02:15 PM.

#11 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,561 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2008 - 02:37 PM

Only cookies there,nothing bad.

#12 Maya01

Maya01
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2008 - 03:05 PM

OK, I did the suggestion in the quote below, to try to run in safemode but the PC just closes down as soon as I click to login to windows. I tried tellng it to re-start in last known good configuration but it still tries to open in safemode and then just turns off.

How can I restore it back to starting up in normal mode?

Thanks

Assuming you have a PC with a keyboard, and not a laptop, try shaking out any debris from the keyboard and make sure the cord is securely connected to the PC.

There are a couple of other things you might try to see if its possibly related to something else:
1. Click Start -> run and type notepad in the textbox and hit enter.
Try typing now - any problems there?
2. Reboot your comp into "safe mode" using an alternative method (apart from the F8 method) and try notepad there:
Click Start -> run and type msconfig in the textbox. Then...

# The System Configuration Utility appears, On the BOOT.INI tab, Check the "/SAFEBOOT" option, and then click OK and Restart your computer when prompted.
# The computer restarts in Safe mode.
# Perform the troubleshooting steps for which you are using Safe Mode.
When you are finished with troubleshooting in Safe mode, open MSCONFIG again, on the BOOT.INI tab, uncheck "/SAFEBOOT" and click OK to restart your computer

Any luck yet?

If you are still experiencing problems in both of the tests above, consider reinstalling the drivers for the keyboard (its not all that complicated; we can cover this when the time comes).

Since your computer is new, you should also have your warranty information, receipts, etc. on hand, in case you need to have something repaired/returned by the manufacturer. (Of course if it was a gift from someone else, consider trying all of the steps above before asking for the receipt ;) )

#13 ruby1

ruby1

a forum member

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:36 AM

Posted 10 March 2008 - 03:28 PM

I met something similar on another forum and

maybe barking up a completely wrong tree (sorry very wrong very wrong tree) :thumbsup: but

have you by any slim chance got the caps lock key on?

#14 Maya01

Maya01
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2008 - 03:48 PM

I met something similar on another forum and

maybe barking up a completely wrong tree (sorry very wrong very wrong tree) :thumbsup: but

have you by any slim chance got the caps lock key on?

No the caps lock is most definitely off but thanks for trying to help. Can you offer any help now on how I can restart the computer because it's set to start in safe mode but just shuts down as soon as I try to logon the windows user. (see my post above)

Thanks

#15 ruby1

ruby1

a forum member

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:36 AM

Posted 10 March 2008 - 05:57 PM

Hi, the logs are below but I -couldnīt use safemode. The first time I ran Superantispyware in safemode the computer shut down part way through the scan and then I tried twice to start in safe mode but it kept shutting down as soon as I clicked to log on to windows. -I restarted in normal mode and there werenīt any problems and the scan ran with the following results.

I should add that when Internet Explorer is opened another browser window opens with an ad in it. It doesnīt happen when I open Firefox which is what Iīm using now. As previously mentioned, the dashes didnīt happen in -Firefox, only IE, but now theyīve started in Firefox too which is why this message has a few dashes where they shouldnīt be.
I also managed to get the system information up and it says manufacturer GBT____ and model GBTUACPI, just incase that makes any difference. -

are you at all able to take a screan shot OF that 'invader'?

Edited by Orange Blossom, 10 March 2008 - 07:15 PM.
close bb tags ~ OB

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users