Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Confusing Problem (boot Screen?)

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Vaikyuko

Vaikyuko

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:16 AM

Posted 29 February 2008 - 01:57 PM

Alright, I'm not really sure where to put this. About a week ago or so (last Friday evening), I had finally managed to eradicate what appeared to be a fairly common virus of some sort, just a spyware/adware Trojan-y thing (Win32@MX or something?). Anyway, my computer ran fine after I seemingly obliterated it, but just today, when I went to boot it up, I got the normal boot screen, asking me if I wanted to boot in Safe Mode (or derivatives thereof) or normally. I chose normally, except a few moments after the XP loading screen appeared, the computer acted as if it had been restarted, and went back to the boot screen.

I tried to boot normally two or three more times, as well as boot in Safe Mode, but unfortunately, the same thing happened. I'm running Windows XP SP2, and for some reason (connected to my boot problem?), my computer, when I try to hard boot, instantly shuts down instead of waiting the 2-3 seconds as normal.

Has this ever happened, and is there any way for me to really fix it (preferably NOT involving reinstalling/installing anything)? Thanks in advance.

{Mod Edit: Moved to XP forum,As possible hardware ~~boopme}

Edited by boopme, 29 February 2008 - 04:23 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 madman6510

madman6510

• Members
  • 384 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:16 AM

Posted 29 February 2008 - 11:57 PM

When the bootscreen shows up, choose to disable automatic restart on system failure, and if you get a blue screen post the details back here.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,544 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:16 AM

Posted 01 March 2008 - 10:43 AM

FYI: Disable Auto Reboot On System Crash - http://www.theeldergeek.com/auto_reboot_on_system_crash.htm

Louis

#4 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:16 AM

Posted 01 March 2008 - 08:08 PM

First Thing I would do is to try to run a fixboot and/or a fixmbr (fix master boot record) ,

to do this, boot to the recovery console (boot with the windows disk then at the blue screen hit "r"), then once in the recovery console, to run fixmbr (fix master boot record) , type:

fixmbr

to run fixboot type:

fixboot

If that doesn't work, you could try to repair the ntldr (the ntldr is the boot loader) and the ntdetect.com (the ntdetect.com is responsible for detecting basic hardware)

to do this, boot to the recovery console (boot with the windows disk then at the blue screen hit "r"), then once in the recovery console, type (note my CD Drive is letter D: so change this to whatever your CD Drive is and my Windows is on C: so change that drive to whatever your Windows is on):

copy D:/i386/ntldr C:
(then hit enter, if it asks you if you want to replace a file, say yes)

copy D:/i386/ntdetect.com C:
(then hit enter, if it asks you if you want to replace a file, say yes)
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users