Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Spam In Outlook Express

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Ross TPO

Ross TPO

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:29 PM

Posted 29 February 2008 - 12:28 PM

Hi,

I am getting a ridiculous amount of spam sent to my email addresses in Outlook Express. I dont have this problem with my hotmail account.

I was just wondering when there was anything I could do to prevent this because at present, I am getting about 50 emails a day offering me sexual enhancements...great!

Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:29 PM

Posted 01 March 2008 - 07:20 PM

You should set up Message Rules in Outlook Express.

For now, do not open any of these spam e-mails. That way the spambots don't know if the e-mail is received or not.
Chaos reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

#3 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:29 PM

Posted 01 March 2008 - 07:24 PM

Perhaps the best way to reduce Spam is at the source, rather than wait for it to download to your computer. Make sure, therefore, that you use any filtres available from the E-mail provider.
Cheers,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#4 ruby1

ruby1

a forum member

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:29 PM

Posted 02 March 2008 - 07:12 AM

I guess you have not yet discovered the brilliant Mailwasher tool ?

it will not STOP the mail arriving on your server but WILL allow you to stop them being downloaded to your computer
http://www.mailwasher.net/

and a different version is at

http://www.btinternet.com/~firststop/shortcuts/ line 30B
easy to set up and I find even easier to use; but do NOT please EVER be tempted to bounce mails ; that merely clogs an already overloaded system and also actually tells the sender you are a legitimate 'target' for a bucket load of more spam ( including the male enhancement drugs and more too) :thumbsup:

#5 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 02 March 2008 - 10:22 AM

but do NOT please EVER be tempted to bounce mails ; that merely clogs an already overloaded system and also actually tells the sender you are a legitimate 'target' for a bucket load of more spam ( including the male enhancement drugs and more too) :thumbsup:

Bounce messages could also go to some poor innocent person who had his/her email spoofed by a spammer.

#6 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2008 - 12:11 PM

Rules in Outlook Express dont work worth a hoot. It is too easy for the spammers to get around them.

Mailwasher is a great tool! It will allow you to blacklist entire domains that you dont recognize.
Once you train it a little & make a friends & blacklist it will tag your email for you.

Remember it is a filter. Run Mailwasher BEFORE opening Outlook Express to weed out the dross
In the beginning there was the command line.

#7 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 37,012 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:29 PM

Posted 02 March 2008 - 09:56 PM

Hello Ross TPO,

Another option would be to request a change in user name for that account. I had to do that for my first e-mail account. This was before I had a computer. Once you have done so, refrain from posting your e-mail address on websites. You might also want to open a throw-away account, perhaps in gmail, to use when you place orders, sign up for forum, etc. That way if it becomes spam city, it is no big deal to close that account and get a new one.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#8 Hmm?

Hmm?

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:29 PM

Posted 06 June 2008 - 07:32 PM

I've used Mailwasher in the past and it is a great program for spam

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users