Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Trojan-downloader.conhook

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
2 replies to this topic

#1 Big Fat Pig

Big Fat Pig

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:17 PM

Posted 29 February 2008 - 11:57 AM

Hi there, this is my first post and it`s a cry for help.
I have Norton 360 installed which automatically updates, however, just recently the pc started running very slow on start up and even more recently ( this week) i have been plagued with pop ups, most of which appear to be warning me of spyware and adware and that i am at risk. !!!! Now, i`m not brilliant with pc`s, in fact ive only just found out that being pc literate doesnt mean spelling computer with a `K`, or not. Despite this semi neanderthal state i have not clicked on any of the pop ups but have looked aroung the interweb for advice. I have tried several free scan sites such as Trendmicro and have found that i am infected with shed loads of stuff but have managed to delete quite a lot and am now apparently infected with a trojan called `downloader.conhook ` .
There are as you know , a number of sites claiming to be the dogs goolies at cleaning your pc, one i have looked at ( the one which told me i had conhook) is called ScanSpyware and it claims it can remove conhook.
My question is this.. ( i can almost hear you saying ` get on with it for goodness sake `)
Does anyone have experience of this site and does it work ?

My other question is.. From what i have read on this forum, it appears that i cannot rely on Norton alone for protection from these malicious infections. So.. what do i need to do/download etc? in order to be safe®.

Oh , also...( i can definitely hear the groans now ).. if ScanSpyware is not sufficient to remove Dr Hook or whatever it`s called, then what should i do ? Please bear in mind that i am semi neanderthal at this so keep to fairly simple words please.

Any help will be very much appreciated.

Thanks,

Piggy

:thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 don77

don77

Forum Regular

• Members
  • 3,212 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2008 - 09:40 PM

Hello piggy

Apologize for the delay in response we get overwhelmed at times but we are trying our best to keep up.
If you have since resolved the original problem you were having would appreciate you letting us know If not please perform the following below so I can have a look at the current condition of your machine.

Thanks and again sorry for the delay.

Please download Deckard's System Scanner (DSS) and save it to your Desktop.
  • Close all other windows before proceeding.
  • Double-click on dss.exe and follow the prompts.
  • When it has finished, dss will open two Notepads main.txt and extra.txt -- please copy (CTRL+A and then CTRL+C) and paste (CTRL+V) the contents of main.txt and extra.txt in your next reply.

Next
Please do an online scan with Kaspersky WebScanner

Click on Accept Button

You will be promted to install an ActiveX component from Kaspersky, Click Yes.
  • The program will launch and then begin downloading the latest definition files:
  • Once the files have been downloaded click on NEXT
  • Now click on Scan Settings
  • In the scan settings make that the following are selected:
    • Scan using the following Anti-Virus database:
    Extended (if available otherwise Standard)
    • Scan Options:
    Scan Archives
    Scan Mail Bases
  • Click OK
  • Now under select a target to scan:Select My Computer
  • This will program will start and scan your system.
  • The scan will take a while so be patient and let it run.
  • Once the scan is complete it will display if your system has been infected.
    • Now click on the Save as Text button:
  • Save the file to your desktop.
  • Copy and paste that information in your next post.

#3 don77

don77

Forum Regular

• Members
  • 3,212 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2008 - 11:22 AM

Due to the lack of feedback, this Topic is closed.

If you need this topic reopened, please request this by sending the moderating team
a PM with the address of the thread. This applies only to the original topic starter.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users