Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Vista Install Will Not Complete - Rebooting

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 kosaic

kosaic

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:23 PM

Posted 29 February 2008 - 11:50 AM

Hi Everyone,

So here's the scoop ...

I have a custom Built PC that I have been running for 1+ years now, with Vista, that worked flawlessly.

Last evening, I changed my CPU from an E6400 to an E8400 , running on a Gigabyte 965p-ds3 v3.3 motherboard (motherboard is not new, always been installed) The CPU was the ONLY change.

The first time I booted up, I went into the Bios (which I ahd just updated) and set to "load defaults"

I then rebooted the machine, and it picked up the new CPU no problem in the post screen.

Vista started to boot, then went off into some odd Thread Dump process, with an error related to ACPI .... (cannot remember this exact error as I only saw it once)

From there Vista would not boot at all, the system just keep rebooting after Vista "starts" to load. I see the splash screen, the reboot.

So, I got out my Vista Ultimate DVD (just downloaded a new copy from MSDN last evening) and did a complete re-install (formatting HDD and all)

Now, Vista starts to load, and reboots once again.. over and over and over. If I choose to boot into Safe Mode, it tells me that Vista installation cannot complete in safe mode, and too reboot to finish installation.

Any thoughts?

This system has been flawless for a long time, so something related to the CPU upgrade has mucked me up.

Any thoughts appreciated.
Kosaic

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:23 PM

Posted 29 February 2008 - 01:44 PM

Just a guess, but since the CPU is the only change in the system, I would guess that there is a problem with it, or that you somehow damaged the motherboard while changing them out, or that you accidentally loosened one of the cables, or knocked a memory module loose. It sounds more like a hard drive issue, so I would check cables first.

#3 kosaic

kosaic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 29 February 2008 - 01:54 PM

I agree with your thinking, and have checked ALL of that ... Everyything appears ok, posts ok, detects ok .... and generally seems to be running.

I have given up on Vista for now, and have an XP install running which appears to be fine at this point.

I'm wondering if I should try Vista w/SP1 ... and as I was trying the non service pack version before while having the issues.

If XP works ok, then I know Vista was/is the culprit. (which is the way it looks at the moment)

#4 kosaic

kosaic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 29 February 2008 - 02:24 PM

XP Pro has installed without a hitch. It works perfectly.

So I guess I need to figure out if Vista SP1 will work over the non service pack version now ... Or stick with good ol XP

Any thoughts ?

#5 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  

Posted 29 February 2008 - 04:09 PM

The only thing I can think of is that you are trying to use a 64 bit version on a CPU that is not 64 bit compatible.....Other than that, I have no ideas at all. :huh: If it works with XP and not Vista, then I can't even imagine what else it could be since you have effectively ruled out hardware failure as an issue.

#6 kosaic

kosaic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 29 February 2008 - 04:29 PM

I downloaded the latest Vista 32bit from MSDN before I installed ... so not 64 bit. (even if it was, my board/cpu will run 64 bit. Intel E8400)

I'm boggled ... but XP saved my bacon ... Guess I'm back to no faith in Vista :huh:

#7 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  

Posted 29 February 2008 - 07:15 PM

Then the last option is damaged installation media. There's really nothing left after that, except for chalking it up to just one of those weird instances.

#8 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 29 February 2008 - 08:15 PM

BIOS flash? http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Support/Motherb...?ProductID=2454
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#9 kosaic

kosaic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 29 February 2008 - 09:21 PM

Bad Media = Very possible (I will be retrying)

BIOS = I have the latest update installed and was prior to my install of Vista.

I'll keep you posted.

Thanks for the replys.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users