Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Greetings!

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Diff

Diff

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:39 AM

Posted 29 February 2008 - 11:32 AM

Doing the introduce yourself notation.

My computer beginnings dates back to the Tandy Corp TRS-80 when a friend of mine had an extra & gave it to me to play with. Wasn't much I could do with it so except play a Pong game. So, I taught myself BASIC, attempted to learn "C" & gave up after a few months. About 7 years ago I took a class on Visual Basic, HTML, etc. I've not kept up simply because of other interests in my life. My energy is focused with digital photography, learning Photoshop CS3, cycling, and more.

I'm motivated to be here because a need to gain knowledge in computer security for my Dell Inspiron 9300. That is, what programs (Firewall, virus, etc) should I have & how to use them. I run Firefox & do have AVG (free edition) & AVG Anti Spy ware (trail version which seems to never run out.). But, I've been lazy is using them, except for the auto updates for AVG, & forgetting to check for Windows updates until recently.

I've posted my 1st question in the "Security" section regarding F Secure online scan.

~ Diff ~

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:39 AM

Posted 29 February 2008 - 12:32 PM

Welcome to BC!
You did not mention a firewall, which is a must, but you seem to have a good set of security applications. Remember, though, that they are only as good as the definitions are current and only if you use them!
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users